West Coast Herping Trip

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
I recently went on a trip down the coast from Seattle to San Jose, to do some herping and meetup with a few friends (AdvythAF being one).
I wasn't able to do as much herping as originally planned, as unexpected snow prevented me from going to two of the major parks i was hoping to visit.

Nonetheless, i was able to find some cool herps, and several lifers/new species for me!

Batrachoseps attenuatus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40353-batrachoseps-attenuatus.jpg

Aneides flavipuncatus flavipunctatus juvenile, first one for me! These guys are amazing, tons of little gold and blue flecks.
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40354-aneides-flavipunctatus-flavipunctats-juvenile.jpg

Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis/xanthoptica hybrid juvenile. Again, this guy was really pretty. Nicer than the pure oregonensis i find here
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40355-ensatina-eschschooltzii-oregonensis-xanthoptica-hybrid-juvenile.jpg

Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica male, found right next to a female (next pic) under a tarp
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40357-male-ensatina-eschscholtzii-xanthoptica.jpg

Heres the female
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40356-female-ensatina-eschscholtzii-xanthoptica.jpg

And here, here is something i've been wanting to see for 5 years, and put dozens of hours searching into. Finally, i was able to find breeding Taricha granulosa (with the help of a friend!). And a mating ball, at that! I should note however that i did actually see breeding newts before this herping with Advyth, but my pictures are in the wrong order and i don't feel like fixing it so i'll just leave it haha
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40358-taricha-granulosa-mating-ball.jpg

sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40359-taricha-granulosa-mating-ball.jpg

Ambystoma gracile egg masses, found in a very unusual spot! Usually they breed in larger and deeper bodies of water than this (habitat shot below)
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40360-ambystoma-gracile-egg-masses.jpg

Habitat shot
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40361-ambystoma-gracile-breeding-habitat.jpg

And here is another lifer, two juvenile Plethodon elongatus. Very similar to the Plethodon vehiculum that i find, but a bit different and very cool none the less
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40362-plethodon-elongatus-juvenile.jpg

Habitat shot for the elongatus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40363-plethodon-elongatus-habitat.jpg

More Batrachoseps attenuatus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40365-batrachoseps-attenuatus.jpg

And more attentuatus, 3 under one rock, and a scorpion!
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40364-three-batrachoseps-attenuatus-scorpion-under-one-rock.jpg

This was a very cool find as well. I had seen some aquatic males before this, but this was my first terrestrial Taricha torosa find ever (i like the terrestrial females a lot). This thing was HUGE. By far the biggest female Taricha i've seen. Length wise it was probably around 5 1/2 inches but its girth and build were way bigger than the granulosa i find
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40367-taricha-torosa-female.jpg

And heres the first i'd ever found, a male in breeding condition. He was pretty awesome, and a decent size
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40366-taricha-torosa-male-first-one-id-ever-found.jpg

Heres another T. torosa but this one is a juvenile. It had way more granulated skin than the female i found
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40368-taricha-torosa-juvenile.jpg

Here are two shots of an abberant male T. granulosa i found
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40369-taricha-granulosa-abberant-male.jpg

sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40370-taricha-granulosa-abberant-male.jpg

Male granulosa in breeding condition. Look at those swollen legs!
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40371-taricha-granulosa-male.jpg

Heres an interesting one. This male granulosa had half his tail missing! Poor dude couldn't swim and had to walk along the bottom of the pond. Whatever bit his tail off won't get the chance to apologize, that's for sure
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40372-taricha-granulosa-male-half-tail.jpg

sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40373-taricha-granulosa-male-missing-half-its-tail.jpg

And that's it! I've got loads more photos but most of them are pretty similar to these.
It was a blast finding new species and so much stuff, as well as meeting up with some new people (2 of which are Caudata.org members).
Thanks to AdvythAF (Advyth) for helping me find some torosa and xanthoptica!

Hopefully my next trip will take me to Idaho ;)

-Seth

Nice stuff, guys! Great Ensatinas and Newts, especially. I've got to make out to the West Coast one of these days to do some serious herping! Nice stuff, and if you ever make it out east to Appalachia, shoot me a message.

Nice thread! I do wonder what made that one newt loose its tail, maybe a garter snake had bitten it's tail, but the newt managed to escape? Still nice herps anyways

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back