Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stomach contents of a single adult Tiger salamander

BackwtrReptiles

Reaction score
Several weeks ago I was on a post-rain nature hike with my family and we came across a large Tiger salamander. I have a fishing license so I collected it for the kids to observe.

I have fond memories of growing up in the Midwest, finding Tigers after heavy rains and raising them in tanks. They'd dig fairly elaborate tunnels in the deep dirt I provided, and when I was lucky, they'd tunnel right against the glass so I could see them.

Anyhow, the following morning the Tiger salamander we collected had regurgitated a voluminous number of prey items. I knew they could eat a tremendous amount, but this surprised even me.

So, I immediately thought of this forum and that you might enjoy seeing the stomach contents.

tiger-salamander-stomach-contents.jpg

Best regards,

Sam
Backwater Reptiles

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting Sam, that's very interesting!
That was one hungry Tiger, I guess it was taking advantage of whatever crossed it's path after the hibernation and breeding season were over. The crab/crayfish claw is my favourite, it couldn't quite overpower the whole animal, so it ripped it's claw off and made do with that!

stanleyc

Reaction score
Really cool, anyone able to identify or make guesses at those salamander species?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
THis is one cool post. And knowing you didn't have to kill the salamander to get at his stomach contents is even cooler.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Very important observation which could inform the protection of vulnerable species.

Jazzy says yarr

Reaction score
First unidentified looks like a small river fish, the second is beaked? possible hatchling of some sort? That's a Lot of salamander snacks. This guy was straight up voracious.
Very interesting, and super cool :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!