Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

how to culture?

FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
I was wondering how to culture springtails, starting from absolutely nothing. I live in NY state if that is of importance for catching them, but im clueless.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It may be possible to get them going from damp forest leaf litter. But it could be a hit-or-miss endeavor. You could get lucky and end up with springtails, or not.

Most people start a springtail culture by getting a starter culture, either from an online shop or from another hobbyist.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Knock on wood, I have some much larger native springtails started culturing. They are silver and at least 3 times the size of the white species, even larger than a newly hatched pinhead cricket.

Through some trial and error they are doing well on coconut pith and seem to be eating wet Sera Micron off the surface of dead leaves (or the mold that grows on it). After about 3 weeks there is a profusion of little springtails. Considering I started with about a dozen adults I think I'm off to a good start!

-Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!