Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue Spotted Salamander defense pose

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Here's a video I took of a Blue Spotted Salamander in a defense phase. It was mid fall and there were still salamanders out. I found this little guy under a log and it instantly went into defense mode. Most of the time when I find A. laterale they don't ever perform a defense stance. This guy automatically started waving its tail. After a couple minutes it was set free.

YouTube - Michigan Herping Blue Spotted Salamander Defensive

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really interesting to see. Thanks for posting.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! Is the purpose of this to draw attention to the tail so that predators go for that rather than the head?

C

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I bet it is, Chris. Similar behaviours can be found in other creatures. It´s certainly better to be bitten in the tail than in the head xD Specially if you are a salamander with special regenration superpowers :p

Thanx for sharing! I hope the little guy wasn´t too upset.

Linus

Reaction score
This is awesome! I remember seeing Linus my full grown Tiger sal doing this one day, and it caught me off guard. I was like ...what are you doing?! 0__0

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I've seen my full grown Tiger Salamander do a the same thing. I think I have the video of it as well. It was a bit more extreme though. My Tiger Salamander did the whole vertical tail fanning and it was secreting a white gluey substance. Vertical tail fanning and gluey secretion at the same time. Mole salamanders impress me, I love them!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I think they also do this to keep from getting stepped on by cows, horses, and other larger creatures. Maybe?

Well Ambystomids mostly only crawl around in the rain at night or when its really damp. The only reason they might come into contact with cows is during a mating migration in spring. I really think that the vertical tail fanning is distraction meant for natural predators that cohabits their habitat. Animals like snakes, frogs, toads, and ect. Those animals there can easily be distracted my motion. Not to mention the fact that most those animals just mentioned are triggered by motions that look like wriggling worms or something swimming.

I think farm animals would still graze and proceed forward if they saw a small salamander waving its tail.

Caudae

Reaction score
How odd! Could be useful when the salamander comes into the sight of a bird. I think the bird would be more apt to eating a 'wiggly worm' than a secreting smelly oozy lizard thingy! =)

bhill368

Reaction score
I see this all the time when I go out looking for them. It is pretty amazing! Tails never fails!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!