Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ohio Herping (part II)...

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Yesterday (April 15) I went out to hit up a few leads on Spotted Turtles (Clemmys guttata) as I have only seen them in one area and they are fair uncommon in Ohio. My first stop was at a boardwalk but I was a little early and it was still cool out so I walked down the road and flipped a few pieces of concrete to get my first Northern Brown Snakes (Storeria dekayi dekayi) of the year.

BrownSnake.jpg

<O:p
Back to the boardwalk and found a few Eastern Garter Snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis). Here is one that was in full sun and I didn’t get a great picture of.
Garter.jpg

Finally after walking the boardwalk a few times and finding NO Smooth Green Snakes (I usually get them in the fall) I found my target turtle.
Spotted Turtle
SpottedTurtle.jpg

Over to another location about 45 minutes away where some people on my conference saw a Spotted Turtle. As usual the Painted Turtles, Green and Bullfrogs were out in force and no trip there is complete without a few Northern Water Snakes (Nerodia sipedon sipedon).
Water.jpg

<O:p></O:p>
Arboreal one.
Waterintree.jpg

Unfortunately, no Spotted Turtles so off to another area about 45 minutes away, where I have seen and worked with Spotted Turtles (I radio-tracked a few from this population a few years ago). As usual I was able to see one of the males with a little transmitter on his butt, but he burrowed into the leaves under water before I could get my camera out. A few peepers were calling and the Bull and Green Frogs were everywhere. A few Painted Turtles later and I decided to go a little into off-limits property and search for some salamanders in a very pristine, coldwater stream. This proved fruitful, although I struck out on erythristic Redbacks and Long-tailed Salamanders (both of which are found there), but I was able to amass this excellent group.
Cup ‘o Manders.
CupoManders.jpg

Can you name what’s in the cup?

Well, I'll give you the answers.

I wasn't able to pull off a shot of the Northern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea bislineata) before it escaped.
Here are a few pictures of the individuals.
Redback
Redback-1.jpg

Comparison shot of two species.
Northern Dusky (Desmognathus fuscus) on top and Mountain Dusky (Desmognathus ochropheaus) on bottom.
DuskyComparison.jpg

Northern Red Salamander (Pseudotriton ruber ruber)<O:p
Red.jpg

Spring came too late this year, but at least it is turning out alright.
Andy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!