P. cinereus

Vort

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
meatballs
Went out herping today near a little stream, found a little redbacked out there, decided to keep it. Pretty new to plethodontid keeping, I've seeded the substrate with springs, and as a dart frog keeper, I've got plenty of fruit flies around. I will move him to a small five gallon tank within the week, most probably.

x4nza.jpg

Went out herping today near a little stream, found a little redbacked out there, decided to keep it. Pretty new to plethodontid keeping, I've seeded the substrate with springs, and as a dart frog keeper, I've got plenty of fruit flies around. I will move him to a small five gallon tank within the week, most probably.

x4nza.jpg

P. cinereus do well on fruit flies but I'd throw small worms in there every now and then. They also get used to people feeding them and may come out when it sees you approaching. If not they'd still eat and let you watch! Requirements are minimal and they aren't completely shy. A good choice for a 1st salamander especially if you like Plethodons.

Good info, man. I've been reading that they are territorial to other redbacks they don't know, if I where to find another specimen, would this be a problem? What should my feeding schedule be?

Also, how long will it take them to adjust to captive life? Are they problematic eaters before they adjust?

Also, he is climbing the glass most of the time. Temperature inside the tank is hovering at a steady 68 degrees (F). I'm not all that worried as he doesn't seem interested in escaping so much as hanging around on the glass.

Also, how long will it take them to adjust to captive life? Are they problematic eaters before they adjust?

Also, he is climbing the glass most of the time. Temperature inside the tank is hovering at a steady 68 degrees (F). I'm not all that worried as he doesn't seem interested in escaping so much as hanging around on the glass.

They never gave me a problem and always ate. Even when they were new captives. It may take a couple weeks for it to settle down and not roam about frequently. Is there anything it can hide under? If your Redback is constantly exposed and is crawling around it could be a sign of stress.

I kept 3 of them together without and conflicts.

He does have a strong feeding response, not sure if he is actually getting the flies. He has three hides. and is currently settled under some moss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back