Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)

Myeager15y

Reaction score
I have had a Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera) for about a year now. From what I understand I have a female wc and at first new nothing about this salamander.

So far I have observed that it enjoys being close to moving water. They are real good swimmers and pose almost no risk for drowning. Or at least this one doesnt seem to mind water. Granted it really only goes into the water to hunt and to mate I understand.

They are mainly terestrial, nocturnal, they climb really well, and will only eat live food. (small prey crickets, isopods, blackworms) They only swim occassional, and when they do they can catch your smaller tropical fish (non-agressive type) and will eat snails and any baby fish.

Normaly behavior I would say consists of hiding durring the day and hunting at night. This one loves to get into the places in the tank that are hard to get to. They are fast and will hide as soon as the light comes on.

If anyone has experience or know any further info on this species let me know please.

Last edited by a moderator:

firesalamander

Reaction score
Hey, I've looked into this species and will say these are some marvelous observations. If you want further info you might be able to find a care sheet on caudata culture. ;)

Myeager15y

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me in that dirrection it was some what helpful. The first time I looked there I must have typed something wrong because it didnt pull anything up. Happens often, get in a hurry and type something wrong or not type part of a thought.

I knew most of what is published there from other sources and personaly observation. I hope that the info on breeding was somewhat accurate.

I would really like to breed these how ever I still must find a male from this area prefferablly. I would really like to find one before winter sets in so I can get it used to captivity and attempt to cycle it with the female for next years breeding season.

Does anyone know what size tank would be ideal for breeding these?

Myeager15y

Reaction score
I am trying to get a pic of her but she is really shy so it might take a while. I dont harrass my animals by touching them unless it is unavoidable. Got to leave the camera by the tank cause a soon as she sees you shes gone.

Myeager15y

Reaction score
here she is

Attachments

• 100_0177.jpg
    100_0177.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,873

Aneides

Reaction score
What is that other newt in the background?

Aneides

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a terrestrial Hypselotriton orientalis.
How long have you had the newt? It really should be fully aquatic...your enclosure may be inapropriate for this species. You should really reconsider and separate the two species. It´s never a good idea to mix, specially WC animals from such different origins.

Jefferson

Reaction score
From what I've obseved in Southern Ohio and Southwest Virginia, I'd say you're right about S2L(two-lined)s not liking the water. In S. Ohio, I noticed that they were much less common in streams in springheads than Northern Two-Lineds, and seemed content to dwell on gorge sides under rocks on land. In Southern Virginia, the only one I saw in the Mount Rogers Natl' rec area was 2 or 3 meters from the stream crawling about in a thicket. That one could have also been a Blue Ridge 2L. However, in parts of S. Ohio where snakes were present, they clustered up around springhouses.

jaster

Reaction score
I have also found two lines (E. wilderae) over 100m from the nearest flowing water and well up hillsides. Then again, I also find adults at the bottom of streams. I guess they love it all. To breed, I think a set up with nice water and a lot of moist cover on land would be best. Not sure how the temp cycles are with them, but it could never hurt. I can find them year round in streams here. Good luck!

Risigan

Reaction score
In my experience it depends on the salamander. The ones I find on land prefer to remain terrestrial while the ones found in water prefer to remain aquatic. I have noticed that the aquatic ones tend to be larger than the terrestrial ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1