Salamandra keepers please report in!

I keep 1.1 Salamandra salamandra salamandra, I might get into them more over time.

I'm a bit late, but I keep
1.2 S. s. bernardezi and 1.1 S. s. salamandra.

They are awesome animals and I really hope I can had some new ssp. in the future.

ElJorgo, I´m sorry but i keep watching threads about you keeping native species of your country. Are you aware it´s ilegal??? By law you can´t keep S.s.gallaica, T.marmoratus (VERY specially if they are WC), nor any other local species ( i´m not sure if i saw a post of you about L.boscai too).
If you are collecting these animals, please stop doing so...not only for the potential fine, but because it´s immoral, and you are damaging protected populations.

i have 1 CB male salamandra salamandra bernardezi and looking for a pair of females. im not overly keen on them i think once i have the 3 i want i won't be getting any more

Wow! captive breeding market of rare subspecies has grown on the last years, despite of the laws...

Hi,

I keep two 1.1.0 s.s. but never looked into the subspecies.
They were bought in Denmark june 2006.

Hello, I find the hype and myth around Inframaculata/Orientalis quite amusing, I recently found a pair of them for sale, and going off the price I understood that they must still be in the pioneering stage of captive breeding.

As a simple herper,looking at them, I feel that the physical relationship between the Inframaculata/Orientalis and European salamandra species is tenuous. Their size is another factor, ive heard they can reach up to and possibly larger than 30 cm. Is this true? if so then they must be very distant relations of the salamandra genus. For example, are they more in line with the idea of algerian salamandra's being quite distant in relation to the salamandra genus?

(by the way this is a rather interesting read on algerian localities of S.S.Algira.)
http://www.scarranza.net/publications/salamandrabeni.pdf

i keep:

1.3.0 Salamandra Salamandra Algira
1.1.3 Salamandra Salamandra Gigliolli
4.2.0 Salamandra Salamandra Terrestris
0.0.5 Salamandra Salamandra Bernedazi

Yes there should be more Salamandra fans, and yes I am very interested in those Solling Yellows and Reds. But I don't want to make the same mistake I made last time with my snake collection. I am new here so i am reading and learning. By the way I sent you an email. Keep up the good work:D

What mistake was that, Larry? Too many, too quickly?

By the way, what size enclosures do you guys generally use? Figured I'd ask the best and brightest. :)

yes , that basically says it all... I got overwhelmend trying to feed them all. :rofl:

Marco, Salamandra algira is a full species since 1996. The same goes for Salamandra infraimmaculata. That couple of S. i. orientalis that was offered some time ago actually were S. i. semenovi.

Morphological differences in the Salamandra genus mean little; evolution has given many sizes and colours to mainly S. salamandra subspecies, but they all originate from one common ancestor. Genetics therefore are more usefull, which clearly demonstrate that S. infraimmaculata, S. algira and also S. corsica and the Alpine salamanders are full species within the Salamandra genus.

The 30 cm is almost true; one Israeli S. i. infraimmaculata has been recorded of 29,5 cm. But also in Portugal there is a record of 25,3 cm.

From the Amphibiaweb page on Salamandra infraimmaculata: "This is the largest fire salamander species; it can reach a length of 324 mm."

@ Wouter - Thank you for the information, for some reason I was under the idea that the Alpines werent classed as Salamandra's.

As for the current record, thats one large salamander...

Hi all,
I forgot to add to the list!
I have a pair of salamandra salamandra terrestris.

I posted in a few threads in this section, but I supose I should add my name to this list/thread.

I keep:
Salamandra s. giglioli
Salamandra s. gallaica
Salamandra s. fastuosaXbejarae ?

Bit of an update on what Im keeping Salamandra wise.

1.3.0 Salamandra Salamandra Algira
1.1.0 Salamandra Salamandra Gigliolli
4.2.0 Salamandra Salamandra Terrestris
1.2.5 Salamandra Salamandra Bernedazi
0.0.2 Salamandra Salamandra Weneri
0.0.3 Salamandra Salamandra Salamandra
0.1.6 Salamandra Salamandra Gallacia (Grandola, seems to be alot of these around?)
0.0.2 Salamandra Salamandra Almanzoris (courtesy of Ben)

I am hopefully getting two young fires to breed.

I currently have one ss gallacia. Am interested in acquiring more salamandra from respected breeders.

at the moment i only have
1 Salamandra salamandra gallaica
but i'm getting
2 Salamandra salamandra bernardezi :happy:
this wednesday.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back