Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of lid for Salamandra?

What kind of lid for Salamandra?

• screen lid

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • solid aquarium lid (hood or glass)

Votes: 24 10.3%
  • plastic tub lid with some holes

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • plastic tub lid with large area of screen

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • other lid type

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • I don't keep Salamandra, but want to see the poll results

Votes: 71 30.5%

• Total voters

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Question for Salamandra keepers: what kind of lid do you use over your Salamandra? Please explain why and give any opinions or experiences with other types of lids.

My reason for asking: I am setting up a terrarium for Salamandra, and I live in a very dry climate. Thus, I would like to know if I should use a solid-type lid rather than a screen.

benw

Reaction score
Most of mine are in large tubs with either slits or holes drilled at the ends.
They seem to keep the humidity at about 70-80%, and have had no issues at all.

Some of my large adult pairs are in a more natural setting, but with mesh vents and small cooling fans.

Hope that helps

Ben

caleb

Reaction score
I use lids home-made from L-shaped plastic profile and muslin/curtain netting for all my amphibians. I've attached a diagram showing how I make them; red spots are where it's glued. Muslin is taped and/or glued on inside.

The advantages of these are that they're lightweight, very well ventilated, escape-proof (even for fruitflies), and they let light through (I have shelves with lights fitted, rather than a light per tank).

I've never had a problem as a result of too much ventilation; I have had problems with too little ventilation in the past (especially from mould).

It's also not difficult to maintain relatively high humidity near the substrate, even if ambient air humidity is low.

Attachments

• lid.gif
    lid.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 815

Ingo

Reaction score
AW: What kind of lid for Salamandra?

Hi,

all my tanks for newts and salamanders are open at the top.
They have only a current limb.

Greetings Ingo V.

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I currently keep a group of S. s. gallaica in three different tanks. I live in an even drier environment than Jen does so I have to be very careful in balancing humidity and ventilation. What I use is a combination of screen and glass covers. I put a loosely fit piece of glass over the screen and I mist frequently ( three times per week).

Last edited:

marco

Reaction score
Same as Ben, It's just alot more functional to keep them in large Plastic tubs, there easily cleaned, keep in the humidity and space wise are quite economical too.

As for naturalistic set ups I use Wooden vivarium lined with bin bags, fill the base with 2 inches of coir block and compost, add leaf litter, bark and plants.

spendday

Reaction score
my salamandra salamandra bernardezi is currently in a 64ltr really useful box just with the normal lid with some holes in it, but early next year I plan to upgrade to a full glass vivarium with a screen lid

I originally went with the "plastic tub" method because it was cheaper and more practical but my he's such a lovely animal I feel I cant hide him away much longer and a glass vivarium will give me a better view of my pet. I’m going for one with a screen lid as they are easier to keep cool, and I like front opening vivaria and they generally come with screen lids

Ed

Reaction score
Hi Jen,

I've used screen lids with glass panes that fit under the screen lid inside the lip of the tank as well as ones that lay ontop of the screen and plastic tubs with a couple of holes drilled in them for ventilation with out any problems.

Ed

Jake

Reaction score
I use a screen lid. Humidity has never seemed to be a big problem in my basement, so I've never worried about it getting too dry.

Brian M

Reaction score
I use a solid screen lid so that i can have my light set up so that none of the helpful rays are filtered from glass or plastic. Then i use a piece of plexi resting on the rest of the screen lid this helps me keep my humidity up but also helps with air flow. with regular misting you should be good to go.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If i´m not mistaken you keep tiger salamanders....this is a topic about Salamandra(fire salamanders) and the specific needs they might have for humidity/ventilation.

horsefieldi

Reaction score
I use plastic tubs with screen tops. For juveniles, I use small plastic tubs with tulle covering to keep their food in their container.

mark55s1

Reaction score
I have always kept a screen top on my glass enclosure for my fire salamanders. Because I keep them in a room in the basement the screen top works well to keep the enclosure cool. You may get alittle more humidity loss but that is easy to compensate for. They don't need a very moist environment anyways. Keeping the enclosure at about 65degrees F makes the Sals very active especially at feeding time.

morg

Reaction score
Some of my Salamandra are kept in the large plastic tubs previously mentioned, but the ones I keep in tanks have no lids, just a small perspex lip around the inside top, which is mainly to stop live food items escaping.
The tanks are set up with damp substrate at one end along with small water bowl, going to completely dry substrate at the other, and interstingly, both the S s fastuosa, and the Ss gallaica that I keep in seperate 3 foot tanks, always stay in the hides at the dry ends.
The S s terrestris that I kept in a converted coal shed with a flloor
space of 5 foot by 6 foot were exacty the same, they have various hides available around both the dry and damp areas of the shed, but always chose to hide away and sleep in the dry.
All of my sals do like to enter the waster bowls at times to use as a toilet though.

mark55s1

Reaction score
I have found that having a screen top on my terrarium allows for the right humidity and also light. On occasion I mist the tank to keep it moist if it is dry out. The salamanders have always responded well.

inshi

Reaction score
Hi,

in most of my tanks I use a 10 cm tape surrounding the edge, in some tanks additionally a 3mm aluminium screen (to prevent crickets from escaping).

stablefly

Reaction score
I have a large enclosure and use a glass top that is left open in the front to prevent overheating and promote air circulation.

Biscuit Oliva

Reaction score
I say screen, best ventilation and its just good looking.I mean they were made for amphibian habitats.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!