Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with feeding babies, bbs didnt work

melfly

Reaction score
I have had to leave mine for 3 days during the winter
I am using some eggs i bought in January for my first batch of babie and they still seem to be hatching well.

Its definately worth trying again with different eggs but as me and Jennewt have said make sure you give them at least 3 days to hatch

Mel

cathy

Reaction score
Hi, Once again thankyou for you replies, the first couple of batch's I may have given up after 2 or 3 days, but the last few batch's have been in now for 5 days with still no success, finally the batch I have in with aquarium heater has a couple of hatched bbs after about 4.5 days, I will wait a bit longer to see if any more hatch out, I sure hope so, I cant say thankyou enough for the help this site is, It is much apprechated.
Cathy.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You just have a bad batch of eggs. There is really no point in giving them longer. With so few hatching, you'll never be able to keep any axies fed with them. All the unhatched eggs will get in the way and interfere with trying to harvest the few that are hatching.

cathy

Reaction score
jennewt you are right, I did try and harvest the few hatched bbs and in the process proberly did more harm than good, all my babies have now died, I am not sure whether they picked up some nasty's from my dam or if they injested any bbs eggs that I may have put in there when trying to harvest the bbs, finally the new bbs eggs arrived and I put a batch on yesterday and today I see what its like to have a proper hatch, I am very saddened that it was to late for my babies. Maybe I could try and get some more axolotls eggs from somewhere, A very sad learning experience.
Cathy

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jennewt you are right, I did try and harvest the few hatched bbs and in the process proberly did more harm than good, all my babies have now died, I am not sure whether they picked up some nasty's from my dam or if they injested any bbs eggs that I may have put in there when trying to harvest the bbs, finally the new bbs eggs arrived and I put a batch on yesterday and today I see what its like to have a proper hatch, I am very saddened that it was to late for my babies. Maybe I could try and get some more axolotls eggs from somewhere, A very sad learning experience.
Cathy
Sorry to hear it. You'll be ready next time. Hope you get some more axie eggs so you can try again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!