Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unisexual (in CC amphib glossary)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Unisexual is a term used to describe a species in which individuals exhibit the characteristics of only sex, for example males or female (compare this to an animal that has both sets of reproductive characteristics, a hermaphrodite).

In the world of salamanders this word is most frequently applied to the complex of hybrid Ambystoma species, i.e. "Unisexual Ambystoma". In this context it describes the fact that all of the hybrid specimens in the complex are female, irregardless of the combination of Blue-spotted, Small-mouth, Jefferson or Eastern Tiger DNA.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could there be a unisexual male species? I'm having trouble imagining this! If not, then a unisexual species could be more simply defined as a species consisting entirely of females. They reproduce by a sort of "cloning" method called parthenogenesis.

We have some parthenogenic whiptail lizards here in New Mexico. The amazing thing that I just learned is that they still have to "mate" in order to reproduce. Two females go through the typical whiptail mating rituals, with one acting the part of the male. This activity is necessary for them to produce the hormones needed to produce viable eggs. I suppose I'm digressing from the salamander context...

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Well in a salamander context unisexual means female to the best of my knowledge but the word can mean either male or female.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well in a salamander context unisexual means female to the best of my knowledge but the word can mean either male or female.

John and Jen
I found this reference to sterile males:
All individuals of these complexes are female (referring to the hybrid Ambystoma complexes), except for a very small percentage (~1%) which appear to be sterile males.

From: Unisexual "Hybrid" Salamander Complexes, Ambystoma spp.

Should the original definition be amended to include this? Probably so.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How about this as a final definition:

Unisexual:
A term used to describe an organism in which individuals exhibit the characteristics of only one sex, for example female or male (compare this to an animal that has both sets of reproductive characteristics, a hermaphrodite). In the world of salamanders this word is most frequently applied to the "Ambystoma jeffersonianum complex" i.e., "Unisexual Ambystoma Complexes". In this context it describes the fact that all individuals of these complexes are female, except for a very small percentage (~1%) which appear to be sterile males regardless of the combination of Blue-spotted, Small-mouth, Jefferson or Eastern Tiger DNA.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1