Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Handling axolotls - good or bad?

webzdebs

Reaction score
It may sound silly but I wanted you guys opinion especially those of you who keep axolotls. Is handling a good or a bad thing? Can it harm the axolotl?

Thanks

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Debs,

Handling axolotls is not a good idea. We have natural oils in our hands that can damage their slime coat. If they lose their slime coat, even in a small area, it can make them much more susceptible to disease.

Whenever you have to put your hands in the tank, make sure they are soap, lotion, and perfume free. Only handle your axolotl out of necessity - due to an injury, disease, or tank transfer; and then make sure your hand is very wet, and do it for a very brief period. It is better to use your hand then a net, but if you can, encourage the axolotl into a small container to move it around. Take care.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yes, pretty much. Frogs too. Amphibians, as a rule, are not the "cuddly" pets; but they sure are cool!! Take care! ;)

Ajolote

Reaction score
No, handling is bad for them, they are aquatic, and fragile! If you wanna cuddle, use a mammal or bird! That's one of the reasons I have my cockatiel on my shoulder most of the time!

daniellog

Reaction score
Like a pirate! that's pretty cool. Do you have an eye patch and a hook too? That would be most awesome look.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1