Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How can I keep my tank cool? Please help

Gvega

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need help on ideas to keep my axies tank at a cooler temp. I seen that adding ice water bottles are not good since they change the temp to fast and can harm them. What do some of you guys do to lower the temps? Thank you!

snuggly time

Reaction score
Hi, I have a fan over the top of the tank. It cools it by 2 - 3c. On the really bad days here I wrap the tank in wet towels and add ice bottles.
You could always invest in an aquarium chiller if it's very hot where you are and you're struggling to keep a constant cool temperature.

Here's a good guide, worth a read. Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Bette

Reaction score
Hi, I have a fan over the top of the tank. It cools it by 2 - 3c. On the really bad days here I wrap the tank in wet towels and add ice bottles.
You could always invest in an aquarium chiller if it's very hot where you are and you're struggling to keep a constant cool temperature.

Here's a good guide, worth a read. Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Yes... fans and ice bottles work great. Haven't had to try a chiller, but that would make the biggest difference.
I found that also switching to a metal mesh tank lid helped enormously! This of course would work great with the added fans on top.;)

Skudo09

Reaction score
Chillers are the most reliable and effective way of keeping tanks cool. I don't have a chiller though as I cannot yet afford it but I am planning to have enough saved to purchase one if needed for the next Summer.

Currently though I have a nylon mesh lid. I did have a metal one but I replaced it as soon as I noticed a small amount of rust forming. I didn't want the rust getting into the water. Along with the mesh lid, I have two clip on fans I bought online. They are amazing. The description when I purchased claimed they could decrease the temperature by up to 7C (depending on quantity of water). I have one set on each side of the tank and so far I have not had to worry about the temperature getting too high. Mind you it is currently autumn here and the weather is starting to cool down so next Summer will be the true test on how well they work.

You could also try insulating the tank. I have a foil type car windscreen cover protector wrapped around the outside of the back of the tank. If was super hot I could insulate it more by wrapping another one around the front but whilst the temperature is ok I don't so I can see my lotls. But you could use other materials to help insulate the tank as well.

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
I leave my tanks without lids, my bigger tank gets a fan. I'll post some links of the stuff I used and explain what I did, it works really really really really well and is tiny and silent. My 15 gallon just stays uncovered and stays around 68 degrees with my one little axolotl in there. I toss an ice bottle in about once a day so it gets down to 66 and goes back up to 68 throughout the day. My 50 gallon stays around 62-64 with being uncovered, having lots of surface disruption for evaporation and the small fan. Here are some links;
Amazon.com: ARCTIC Breeze Mobile USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan - White: Electronics
Amazon.com: DLink 36in USB 2.0 extension dock stand cradle cable USB A to A male to female: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: HTC U250 CNR6300 USB AC Travel Charger Adapter Power Plug: Cell Phones & Accessories

I just the USB stand mounted to the side of the top rim of my tank using simple cheap mounting tape (the thick double sided tape, almost like a foam tape. Not sure what material it is but it is really good.) and have the chord going to the AC/USB adapter into my surge protector, the fan is of course plugged into the usb stand at the top and pointed down to the water. It's silent, effective, cheap, and takes up hardly any space. It also looks good. The only downside is there is no guard around it so sometimes it'll knick your arm or finger whatever happens to come close to it, the fan blades are hard plastic so it's not the most pleasant thing but it isn't so bad lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!