Surprise Surprise (Unexpected New Parent(s))

Scintillation

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Caudata.org!
What should I expect when I open the lid to my (temporary) enclosure? If I was asked that question yesterday, I certainly wouldn't have answered "Around 70 small, dark dots splattered around the place" but lo and behold, today that is my answer.
I'm terrified.
I acquired these axies (leuc male, wild female) around 2 weeks ago (a rush thing, had to set up my tank, now waiting for it to cycle) so I plopped them in a 55 litre plastic tank for "holding". I thought the small-ish space might stave off any breeding until they got into the larger tank!
What do I do? The website is only letting me attach one picture (the eggs aren't on any plants; just some ornaments and maybe there are some on a log) -should I take the eggs out or the parents out?? I have a couple of aquatic plants I can shove into the tank for added ammonia/nitrate-consumption and another similar plastic tank-ish thing.
I didn't separate the two axies when I first got them because according to the previous owners "They never had any babies" and they were feeding them circa once a week, even during warmer seasons... So I thought the female wouldn't have had enough resources to make eggs. And because I had only one filter -the one that came with them... *Internal screaming*. :eek:
Any advice is helpful. Thank you for taking the time!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 277
Seperate the eggs and put them in a container or little containers with water (dechloronated water). That should do just fine. When the larvae hatch you could use different methods. Check Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Newts and Salamanders from Eggs

Still my absolute favourite method is using pond water of good quality. Maybe you know someone which has a good pond filled with little crustaceans, which suggests that the water could be of high quality. You can use a test or try it on one or two larvae. When you succeed in finding suitable water you don't need to worry anymore about plants and food items dying off quickly after being introduced to your setup. Their recuirements are met most of the times in this water due to it's balance. Another thing is that there are already food items present in the water, also a lot of small ones suitable for the first period after hatching. Whatch out for hazzards like larvae of beetles, dragonflies, damselflies and such. I don't know what other dangers Australian pond water can contain. I can imagine that a platypus could be harmful to your larvae as well ;)

In the Netherlands we don't have to dechloronate our water. Still I use water out of my own pond. I even use it to brush my teeth...

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :happy:

Wow, that's quite some situation you've found yourself in.
As Niels says, separate the eggs into containers. I've attached another link you may find useful.
Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

Best of luck with your axolotls and eggs, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for all the info! I've moved the eggs into a tub and put in a little airstone. The plants in there are thin Val and (what I think is) water sprite. Water's yellow because of the tannins from the log in with the proud mummy and daddy :p.
The water I used is part from the old "tank", part new. New water= tap water + SeaChem Prime.
I have a holey rock if that would be useful for developing embryos?

And apparently I was way off with my initial estimate of 70 eggs. I'll eventually put them up for sale because I definitely can't look after 100+ axies forever! Pic attached for reference!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 221
Update on the sitch: they've been growing well! I'll attach a picture. They're currently up for sale on Gumtree, or if anyone's interested here, feel free to PM me! I will be putting up a proper ad for them once I reach five posts.
I've kept them at a cooler temperature (just outside, really: it's winter here in Aus) so they've been slow to develop. Which is a good thing since there's the rush for food and good homes! :p
Thank you for all the extremely useful info on here! This is a great community and I'm glad to be a part of it :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 219
You've done very well dealing with your unexpected situation. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back