Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Almost ready to get axolotls

ZSThomp

Reaction score
Hello!*

I'm a reptile and amphibian lover but have never had an axolotl. I've been researching them on and off for years. I believe I'm ready but just have a few questions:

I plan to use the Prime and Stability method to cycle tank as mentioned at*https://axolotlcity.com/how-to-cycle...lotl-aquarium/

Then do I just add Prime when I add water or if the ammonia/nitrites are too high?

If you have stuff in your cage like rocks are other other things, is it ok to scrub them in tank water to clean them or will that get rid of good baceria colonized on them?

If I use sand as a substrate, is ok to sift the sand a little bit with a siphon or will that also get rid of good bacteria?

I'm thinking of using one of the HOB filters out there. They all use "cartridge" type replacement filters...do I just leave the old cartridge in the tank for a while so I don't crash the cycle when I change filters or does it matter?

Sorry for so many questions, but those are the ones that I have left after my research. I may add more questions to the thread as time goes on.

I'm excited but nervous because I've seen tons of threads on sick axolotls and cycle problems. Reptile keeping requires a lot of specific care but sometimes viewing all the things that can go wrong with axolotls and tanks make them seem even more daunting!

Thanks all for reading.

Z

Fireguy

Reaction score
If you're going to do a fish in cycling. Dose Prime every single day. I unfortunately had to do it for a tank but when dosed properly every day, the axolotl came out completely okay with no harm.

There should be no need to clean decorations and substrate if you siphon regularly.

Siphoning regularly is a must.

Do NOT replace the filter media, it's the biggest lie on the market. Companies are just trying to get your money. You don't change the media until its falling apart.

Krispy

Reaction score
I agree, but also look into a sponge filter in addition to your HOB. A sponge filter will aid in collecting detritus, so you can rinse out the sponge filter and not have to worry so so much about siphoning all the time. But as mentioned, siphoning is still very important.

ZSThomp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips! I'm think of leaving it with no substrate and no sand. I know with with the regular water testers prime messed with the ammonia readings...but will the nitrite/nitrate readings be accurate?

Z

Krispy

Reaction score
Ultimately, bare bottom is the easiest to clean and the safest. A good alternative to barebottom is using slate or tile put in place with aquarium grade silicone. Seachem has test reagents for ammonia and nitrate/nitrite that work specifically with Seachem products to get accurate readings. Stick with Seachem products, most of the axolotl community uses and recommends them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!