Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Tank pH too High

ellarose

Reaction score
I brought home my new little axolotl, Mortimer, almost a week ago now. I had the tank set up and running for over six weeks before I brought him home. I was doing what I believed to be cycling, but I am a beginner at this. I bought a more accurate liquid test kit for the water and found that my pH was at an alarming 8.2. I tested the tap water as well: 8.2.
My ammonia is at 0.25ppm which I know is not ideal, and my nitrates and nitrites are both at 0. I keep the tank temp between 65-68 F. I do about 20% daily water changes to keep the temperature down and because the filter is unplugged for the time being (it proved to have too strong of a flow).
I have heard both positive and negative things about driftwood, peat moss, and chemical lowering agents. If you have any advice on how to safely and effectively lower the pH, I would love to hear it! The last thing I want to do is stress out my little guy; he is far from full grown.

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I don't know that there's been specific research on this, but anecdotes I've heard from keepers seems to indicate axolotl like higher PH but aren't particularly sensitive to PH anyway. My tap is around 8 and my axolotl are quite healthy and comfortable. If your axi seems stressed I would look for other sources like other tank params, water flow, light and temperature before ph. I wouldn't recommend peat moss even if you want to lower PH as it's not environmentally sustainable

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I second what Giuseppe said. The only issue right now is you have ammonia in your tank which is more toxic at higher pH. I would recommend using indian almond leaves to lower pH. Make sure to monitor this so it isn't fluctuating too much (especially during a water change).
If your nitrates are 0 then the tank isn't cycled, or has crashed. You want 0 ammonia and nitrite, but nitrates up to around 40ppm. I would tub your axolotl while you sort out the tank, but it can be done with the axolotl in. There is heaps of info on here on cycling if you need more help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1