Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing newt :(

sammannell

Reaction score
Hey guys I've just realised one of my newts is missing (my favourite one too sadly)

I've been so busy with the baby newts and baby leopard geckos recently and haven't done a proper count up of my newts in probably 2-3 weeks and only just noticed he was missing when feeding them last night :( I feel like such a horrible person.

I'm not sure if he would of escaped because he is the only newt who wouldn't climb or venture out of the water at all. The only other thing I can think of is everyone else ate him? They are all well fed. Would the other newts do this? Possibly he passed away first? :( It's driving me crazy not knowing what happened to my little guy.

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_7135.jpg
    IMG_7135.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 468

MnGuy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Chances are that he climbed out. Had he passed away and was eaten, or, was eaten alive, you would've seen something.

I know how it feels; my female alpine newt climbed out of one of two holes in my screen lid that I forgot to cover back up. Fortunately, I found her on the floor the morning after and she recovered.

I don't want to sound preachy, but a cover is mandatory with newts. It doesn't matter how rarely they appear to climb; one day they will.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If she might still be alive, leave a wet towel around the tank, or maybe a couple in the room. I think they can smell water. It certainly might attract it.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I agree with Otter woman. The wet towel trick works for escaped snakes, it ought to work for newts as well. An escaped amphibian will, by necessity, seek out moisture quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!