Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Injured Bullfrog!

S

sara

Hello, all.
This is my first post to your forums. I've never had a frog in my life before now.
Friday night, I saw a frog get hit by more than one car. I got her out of the road and took her home. She was bleeding from a cut under her right eye and from a badly mangled right front flipper. The bleeding stopped within minutes, and I got her settled into a small, temporary plastic Critter Keeper with a couple of inches of bottled spring water and a well-washed rock. She made it through the night.
In the morning, I called my vet, who could not help me, as he had never treated a frog before. I called the one local pet shop that carries frogs, and they were much more helpful, with care instructions and advice. After work, I went there to purchase the recommended larger Critter Keeper, water purification liquid, and crickets.
Ever since then, she has continued to progress. The cut under the eye has healed, but it appears that that eye is now blind. The flipper is healing fairly well, but still looks sore. Here's a link to a picture that clearly shows both the blind eye and the injured flipper: http://www.ball-pythons.net/coppermine+displayimage-album-179-cat-0-pos-0.html

She passed a well-formed and firm stool yesterday, and ate two crickets tonight, so I am convinced she has no internal gut injuries. I had been worried about that.

If any of you can give me some information as to how to help that flipper heal well, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sara

D

denise

Hi Sara, I'm glad you came to this forum. I just hope someone can help answer some of your questions. That is wonderful news that at least she is eating.

H

help_a_frog_____________

Oh hi ~ You're all in here ~ lol

Good luck with the frog ~

It's wonderful that she's eating and even had a stool... Sounds like she's fine inside, so that's really good news.

Did they give you drops to prevent infection ?

I hope someone knows what drops to put in the tank,

to prevent infection and help her hand to heal.

(Message approved by admin)

H

heather

Wow, Sarah you sound like a very dedicated person! Im sorry about the froggy, and im sorry that i cant help you. It sounds like you know more about what to do with the frog than we do.
Hopefully you can get ahold of an expert
Good Luck!
~Heather

A

adam

Hi, i hope your frog is doing well, i once had a similar experience with a wild Rana temporaria. I found two young boys kicking something about on the street later to find it was a poor frog. it had taken quite a beating and nearly lost it's leg. I took the frog home and used potassium permanganate solution to clean the wounds and hopefully prevent infection. The frog refused to eat for some time, but after about 3 weeks the wounds had sealed and looked ok. i moved the frog to a coldframe outside with a pond and much vegetation cover and slowly it recovered. I still see this frog about in my ponds to this day so it seemed to be worth the effort to treat the little fellow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!