Infection?

L

luis

Here is the problem. What is it? What can I do?

Triton002.jpg

Triton001.jpg

This is usually a sign of a bacterial infection or internal organ problem.Unfortunately by the time swelling is seen it is usually too late to do anything about it.

Is the rest of the animal swelled up?

I would take it to a vet and get a culture. It may be bacterial and something easily remedied by antibiotics. It looks quite uncomfortable.

yeah
I agree with ian, I am pretty sure (bye the way this looks) that you are already too late but maybe a visit to the vet will save it.

Hope it gets better
sick.gif

Its not mouth rot,i don't see any open sores or broken skin and you wouldn't get that amount of swelling.I am sure its bacterial or internal organ problems and sorry to say chances of survival are slim (i hope i'm wrong) good luck Luis.

From the link Jennifer provided, it said that Mouth rot is a bacterial infection.
Anyway, I hope it will get well soon. And thanks for the link, Jennifer.

"Mouth Rot" aka infectious stomatitis is a disease of reptiles and can be caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungal infections.
The treatment described in the link Jen provided above is a treatment for reptiles and not amphibians. Iodine is toxic to amphibians and many of the iodine solutions also contain surfactants which are also toxic to amphibians.

The swelling looks to be localized and can be caused by a number of issues and really needs to be evaluated by a vet.

Ed

Thank you for all the posts. Where I live there are not vet for amphibians but I'm trying whit a soft antibacterial cream. I will tell you if it works.

Yes Jennifer, you can use the photographs.

I'm sorry about my english.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back