Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I got my first sal!!!!

blushed

Reaction score
I would definitely get him to a vet like mentioned above. It looks bad, and if he's not blind, he very well may become blind from whatever it is causing his eye to do that now.

sde

Reaction score
A caudate's regeneration habilities are not equal throughout its life. Embryos and larvae are capable of regenerating body parts that no adult could. Experiments have been done that show that it is possible for a caudate to regenerate parts of their heart, their eyes and even the brain, but that doesn't mean they can do it at any time in their life and that any adult or metamorphosed salamander is capable of such remarkable feats.

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Update: His eye has improved slightly, as I he can see SLIGHT movement out of his eye, we found this out when he went after a cricket we put in there. Also he went from being to skinny, to being to fat!!! He is like a blob with legs!:p :blob:Anyhow, I decided to re-name him Pirate, due to obvious reasons.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Update two: He learned something new to do. When he wants to go somewhere, he walks in a direction, with his good eye facing the direction he wants to go. It seems every time I go in the pet room, he comes out of his cave to "swashbuckle for bugs":grin::blob: He's pretty smart!

C

Cliygh and Mia

Oh, there is one more thing before I sign off on this post, I think the problem is genetic, that would explain his weird coloration and his eye. What I think happened is that a mom/dad bred with a son/daughter, and that he came out with problems. All I'm asking is could the problem be genetic?

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I guess it could be genetic, but I think it to be unlikely. The colouration seems to be a hard one to crack, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to really know what it is without a fully trained vet, and even then, it might not be solved. Inbreeding is not considered a huge problem in Amphibians, it hasn't been seen to cause too much damage, but obviously should be avoided, so my money's on it just being coincidence that he has off colouring as well as the dodgy eye. Could we have some picture updates?

C

Cliygh and Mia

I will TRY to take some pics, but the phone cameras stink. He is always hungry, and when I come into the room, he instantly starts begging for his food to be in his dish. :grin: One time he crawled into his feeding dish, like, :eek: no food?!!?

Stupot1610

Reaction score
The issue with the eye is not genetic, when caudates breed with close relatives (eg mother and son or brother and sister) it does not cause problems for several generations, and even then the impact can be minimal. Take axolotls, for example, they're extremely inbred and many people will breed mother to son etc for specific traits for many generations. So, in your wild caught tiger salamander it is extremely unlikely that it is inbred (when you consider the volume of adults breeding at one time).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1