Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bandeds

Davo

Reaction score
Some of my bandeds from last year, just cleaned up the breeding tanks. I cant believe how much waste snails produce, tanks were full of it! :p

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 353

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing I never realised before I saw some of these in the flesh is how big they are. Pictures give a reasonable idea of how fantastic they look in their aquatic faze, but they are huge as well which just adds to their impressiveness!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember what subspecies the first ones I saw were, they are a species that I don't know much about. They were easily as big as a fully grown male T. cristatus though, certainly over six inches! I always imagined they were a similar size to Alpine newts until I saw those ones.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
They look great. I think adults grow 15-18cm/6-7 inches so they're pretty big. Like you say, easily the same size as T.Cristatus adults.

Stuart

sde

Reaction score
I don't remember what subspecies the first ones I saw were, they are a species that I don't know much about. They were easily as big as a fully grown male T. cristatus though, certainly over six inches! I always imagined they were a similar size to Alpine newts until I saw those ones.

Ah okay. A bit larger that Taricha. That is definitely larger than I was thinking, I thought they were more C. pyrrhogaster size. Thanks Chinadog :happy:

otolith

Reaction score
They're real beauties! Always happy to see pictures from successful Ommatotriton keepers, best of luck with the inevitable flood of larvae! My fingers are crossed these will make it to the US someday, they are my newt holy grail.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Aaaahhhh, they look so cool! I wish I'd bought a pair when I had the chance!

sde

Reaction score
Aaaahhhh, they look so cool! I wish I'd bought a pair when I had the chance!

I am sure you are kicking yourself for passing the opportunity to get Ommatotriton already, but man, I cannot believe you passed on Ommatotriton! I just had to say that, sorry xD

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Yeah I know. Martin offered me a pair back in January which I wish I'd bought. However, things are looking hopeful for me being able to get a pair from someone else now.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
No longer kicking myself :tongue: Getting a pair in a week or two! I'm looking forward to the challenge of the tiny larvae and juveniles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1