Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on hibernating triturus species

Nuclear Herps

Reaction score
This might sound stupid but how exactly do you hibernate triturus newts?

do you have to hibernate them in water?

What temp do they have to remain at?

Do you feed them in this period?

How long do you hibernate them for?

caleb

Reaction score
This might sound stupid but how exactly do you hibernate triturus newts?

It's not really 'hibernation' as such, more a cooling period to prepare them for breeding.

do you have to hibernate them in water?

You can just keep them however they are when winter comes- if they're still in the water, you can keep them in the water- if they're on land, you can leave them on land.

What temp do they have to remain at?

Below 10C (50F) and above freezing.

Do you feed them in this period?

You shouldn't have to if they're at the lower end of the temperature range, but you might want to if they're nearer 10C (50F).

How long do you hibernate them for?

I'd recommend at least six weeks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1