Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axie is sick!

Bankslove

Reaction score
What's happened to my Axie?
He/she don't know which has suddenly become swollen near its tail is she:( ready to leave eggs?

I have had her/him 2 and a half years no eggs yet fed on blood worms eats well.

I have four in my tank one seems to be lifeless floating upside down very pale will attach a photo of this one.

Please help!:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 309

Bankslove

Reaction score
This is my pale looking Axie.
Have put him/her in the fridge for two days it perked up but has gone back to floating upside down and looking pale.

Vet said something about septecima but didn't go to consultation because it was £120.00!

They've only been fed bloodworms since I've had them
They were reared on them from hatching.

Any help/tips to save him would be welcomed!

He always seems lopsided :-(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 231

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
It is definately a male! So you would not get eggs.

On top of this, your axie is extremely malnurished and skinny looking. Bloodworms are not a staple diet for an axie. Nightcrawlers or earthworms or a good sinking pellet.

Your axies i assume are not getting enough food, he may be lobsided because he has inhaled or swallowed air, this is normally harmless but can stress them out.

I wouldnt want to put them in the fridge just yet, he is to skinny to not be fed, and he probably wont eat in the fridge.

I would put him in a tub of dechlorinated water doing 100% water changes daily and keep the watercool but not in the fridge, get some more nutritious food asap and start shoveling it in(not literally) but feed him as much as you can.

I assume if your axie had septecima Then he would be dead already.. If a human develops this you only have a matter of hours before your body is overridden by infection and you die. So i would assume an axie would be the same or even less time

All axies should be removed from the tank, all in seperate tubs with dechlorinated water getting fed as much as they will eat. This should continue until something happens, either they get better or die.. If it is a infection then you want all your axies seperated, but it seems more to me that they are malnourished.but of course i am not a vet..

Bankslove

Reaction score
Are both of those axies males?

I didn't think they were eating those worms!

Would you recommend fresh or frozen?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I dont think you can buy frozen nightcrawlers. Alive is best if you can buy frozen? I dont know. And an axolotl sinkin pellet would work as well. I dont know if both are male the second picture is hard to tell. If it has the testies then its a male.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Earthworms don't exactly freeze well. They turn into this kind of disgusting, unappetizing mush when frozen.

Feed them live earthworms and cut the worms into smaller bites if they have problems with the size. If you feed them pellets, use a jar to ensure they aren't eating sand.

Also if your axolotl has suddenly become swollen, there might be a more serious medical problem. Consulting a vet, if possible, would be a good idea.

Bankslove

Reaction score
I checked online at my local pet outlet they have pellets and freeze dry earthworms have you tried this kind are they ok?

Kaini

Reaction score
Do not feed your axolotl freeze dried anything, especially earthworms. You can literally go outside and dig up fresh ones (as long as no chemicals or pesticides have been used in the area as others said).

E

Elise

What's the temperature of your tank?
Are those decaying bloodworms on top of your sand?

CJ1981

Reaction score

Bankslove

Reaction score
What's the temperature of your tank?
Are those decaying bloodworms on top of your sand?

No there not decaying anything lol I fed them before taking the photo.

Ok so I've ordered some shell fish pellets, earthworm pellets, meal worms and earth worms and some frozen lance fish.

:) thanks guys and I'll keep you updated on there progress.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from frozen fish for axolotls. There are enzymes in some fish that can affect hormone levels in axolotls.

Bankslove

Reaction score
There getting fat now guys!

Thank you for your help even the sick one is getting bigger and stronger.

I have been cutting worms in half so 10-12 worms per day is 20-24 for them to share between the four of them.

Should I increase this?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1