Dave and Taylor

cloth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sarah(UK)
Here are my boys Dave and Taylor.Its a long story with these two so to make it short...I owned them about 3 yrs ago and rehomed them...about a month ago I advertised for some axies and got a reply within hours.2 Axies available locally,so off we went and low and behold there were my two boys I rehomed 3 yrs earlier....now safe and sound back with me and staying that way!
Dave is the wildtype and Taylor the golden albino.They are a little worse for wear but coming on nicely.
They had been kept on gravel (now sand),temp was too high (now 18 degrees) and the water flow way to fast (now slow and against the glass).
Taylor hadnt eaten well but is now rivalling Dave and they stuff worms down them! Even Taylors gills are starting to grow back after 3 weeks!
Here they are....

This is Dave
79059.jpg

This is Taylor in his flower pot
79060.jpg

Dave waiting for food
79061.jpg

Taylor showing his good side
79062.jpg

The pair of them
79063.jpg

Beautiful big babies!! Must be nice to have them home......how do you keep the tank cool with so much light? I had to remove my light as it was heating up the tank too much!

I'm jealous!!!!! How do I get mine to grow that big?! What do you feed?

Wow what an amazing story, getting your very same axi's back. I bet they're glad to be back with you safe and sound.
ufo.gif

I'm so glad to have them home,they are on earthworms mainly at the moment to build them up,they were both a little thin when I got them.It looks really bright because of the white sand and I used my phone to take the pics which always come out too bright.

they are sweeties- a fine home- how cool that you have them again!

Heres a couple more photos of my boys..

Taylor
79680.jpg

Taylor and Dave
79681.jpg

Tank
79682.jpg

Wow interesting story. glad you got your axolotl friends back.
Lots of plants. Your moss balls are very large! I love the last picture of your whole tank.

Thank you ,yeah I was surprised when the moss balls turned up,I wasnt expecting them to be that big but the axys like pushing them around so theyre ok.Some of the plants have now been pruned as they grow really well in the tank.

How do you get your plants growing so well Cloth? Do you use the plant food and UV light or normal light?
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing!!!

I just put the plants in and off they go! No plant food,no special lighting.I've trimmed them now but they still put out roots all the time!

Whoa those moss balls big! I bet its funny to see the axolotls rolling them around, I bet it looks like they are playing.
biggrin.gif

I got the moss balls from eBay,they were a lot bigger than the listing said but hey the axies like to push them about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back