Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shower caddy to hold plants?

MnGuy

Reaction score
Has anyone used plastic shower caddies with suction cups like these from Target (https://www.target.com/p/rectangle-...Vef7jBx33twL5EAkYByABEgLFzfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) to hold terrestrial plants in their newt tanks?

I have a 13" high 33 long that I'm thinking of turning into a big newt tank. I was thinking of using the caddies to hold plants. My three alpine newts are basically 100% aquatic so I have no plants to create a land area. I'll just keep a few pieces of submerged driftwood/cork around for them to haul out on.

In my current 20 long, I have two bark logs that I use to hold plants, but they're falling apart and I don't think it'd be easy nor cost effective to rig a bunch of logs across the back of a 48" tank.

Thanks for the input.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I like that idea! I have found though that over time, suction cups lose their suction in tanks. The constant dampness? Just so? the coldness? Not sure why. But you could then attach them to the side of the tank with strong fishing line and somehow hold it up by tying it to your top screen, or some bendable over the side hook, or something.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Wow, I like that idea! I have found though that over time, suction cups lose their suction in tanks. The constant dampness? Just so? the coldness? Not sure why. But you could then attach them to the side of the tank with strong fishing line and somehow hold it up by tying it to your top screen, or some bendable over the side hook, or something.

Yeah; I've also had that problem with suction cups. None of my thermometers stay put! They all end up going for a swim around the tanks and I just let them float around in a corner.

There's a garden store near me that sells decently thick wire coated in a light green plastic that I've used to tie plant supports. I wonder if that would work. I'm a little worried about metal leaching, though.

I think it's this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Coate...t=&hvlocphy=9060341&hvtargid=pla-743171417896

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used similar shower soap dishes with suckers to make land areas and as every one has said the suckers do have a finite service life. The best suckers I've found are Eheim brand, they can last year's if they aren't disturbed in or out of the water and are easily available on eBay etc.
Regarding the thermometer suckers mine seem to give up after about a year but our local aquarium store sells replacement ones for next to nothing so it might be worth asking next time you're at your LFS.

MnGuy

Reaction score
I've used similar shower soap dishes with suckers to make land areas and as every one has said the suckers do have a finite service life. The best suckers I've found are Eheim brand, they can last year's if they aren't disturbed in or out of the water and are easily available on eBay etc.
Regarding the thermometer suckers mine seem to give up after about a year but our local aquarium store sells replacement ones for next to nothing so it might be worth asking next time you're at your LFS.

Thanks for the great info!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1