Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Infection has reached deadly stage- need advice fast!!

newtsrfun

Reaction score
Well, the worst is finally happened- a small infection exploded to the point where this guy doesn't have long to live if I can't controll it. I have been working with axolotls for years but never seen anything this bad. know there are several products that I can try- but i don't have time to test stuff out at this point. Salt baths are not working, neither is melafix.

I don't have marycin, petstores are closed, and I can keep him cool, but I need something to take down this infection fast. I have hydrogen peroxide. The wounds are fuzzy, and basically the flesh is melting, the hand was attached this morning, now its a bloody stump.

help me out poeple, its now or never, and I don't know whats best, and what I can push the limits with, and whats just too deadly.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've heard of problems with treating axolotls with melafix. I'd pop it in the fridge and treat with furan 2 as soon as possible.

newtsrfun

Reaction score
I've barley used malefix at all- this is really really bad guys- in 6 hours euthanasia bad- can anyone reccomend anything to put in the water?

i have read all I can- I need someone to vouch for something...fast

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you've already tried salt baths and fridging, those are about the only home remedies that have been shown to be effective. Sorry:(

newtsrfun

Reaction score
How about chlorinated water? adding a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to the wounds out of water? Irrigation of the wounds?

The tail is so infected- it alone is probably going to kill the axi. this sucks.

Jake

Reaction score
By the pictures it looks like your axolotl might be beyond treating. Once the skin begins to slough itself off and the axolotl gets stiff or doesn't respond there normally isn't much a hobbiest can do.

Adding chlorinated water or hydrogen peroxide with probably only make matters worse.

newtsrfun

Reaction score
Well, I sort of was admitting that- but I want to do my best never the less. It's a very fast moving infection- I have never seen anything this progessive. He doesn't appear to be that sick, his color is still good, eyes are looking good. I have seen them much worse- but not with tissue dissapearing like this. Before It gets too bad, I am going to have to put him down rather then watch him slowly suffer. But untill then, I have to do my best then wonder "what if".

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

Sorry nothing positive to add on the help side.

If you are capable and you sound like you are I would advise option 2.

Best of Luck

newtsrfun

Reaction score
Well, The dude is srtill with us. The infection seems to have slowed quite a bit, and its hard to detemine how deep it is in the tail. To get an idea of how far the tail was in the mouth of the other axie, the wound is on both sides of the tail, 2 mm deep, and 6 mm from the rear legs.

The axololtl has lost a large ammount of body mass, looks almost half the size of the others. If things don't turn around soon, I will be putting him down. i was thinking about injecting the oragel into the body cavity as opposed to just putting it on the head, mainly bacuse the water would wash it off too fast. any thougts on this?

sheila robinson

Reaction score
I have had good results from Baytril, mix 0.4mL to 2 litres of water in an ice cream bucket. Keep temp less than 19deg C. Keep axolotl in bath for 2 hours then return axolotl to tank. I got the Baytril from the vet. Good luck

newtsrfun

Reaction score
I pet him down last night. He expelled all the contents of his stomach and somehow a peice of intestine came out so I felt it was time. Thanks for the help. RIP Montana.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1