Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping WC animals from the field

d4d

Reaction score
Now I am new to this so don't jump on my case. Can I collet the anilmals I find on my grandparents property(they don't care) I'm not there often enough to look at them but naturally if it is wrong I will avoid.

One objection you mAy have is I'm diminishing their population but what if I caught then bred them. Then released them into their pond again?

Also how about collcting eggs/larvae?

Nathan

Reaction score
There are a lot of factors here.

First, be sure to check your state laws. We don't want you breaking the law, because you could get in trouble and because it encourages tighter restrictions on the rest of us.

Second, know what species you are catching. Do not collect a rare species. Also be sure you know the care requirements before you take it home.

Collecting eggs or larvae rather than adults is actually a very good idea. The vast majority of larvae do not make it to adulthood, so you are not doing much harm to the population by collecting a few of them. Collecting adults is much more harmful to the population. You can think of it like the difference between collecting some acorns and chopping down a mature oak tree.

Also, DO NOT under any circumstances return your pets or their offspring to the wild! I cannot stress this enough. There are some very nasty amphibian pathogens which have been introduced from captive animals to wild populations, and you don't want to be responsible for the next one. If you take an animal home, it is yours forever. No exceptions.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Nathan has pretty much covered it.

I will add, that when collecting eggs /larvae- make very sure you know what you are collecting. Many critter's eggs/offspring look very much alike.

Also,even though he already stated it- Make sure you do your homework BEFORE collecting. Have your permits/licenses/written property access permissions ahead of time. Keep these on you in a ziploc bag while in the field.

Also learn everything you can about every species in your area. This will keep you from messing with the wrong critters.

Finally, make sure you have enclosures to keep them in BEFORE you get them. Many WC animals are shy and will die of stress without a proper living space.

nora

Reaction score
While you are out in the field how about using a camera to "capture" your prize specimens.:happy:

d4d

Reaction score
Going out there tomorrow so I'm going to takes some pictures, get some IDs then do my homework. Thanks! I post some info herre tomorow!

BTW does anyone know what kind of permit you need in Ohio? Where do you aquire one? How much? Any good threads bout permits?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
You will need to contact Ohio DNR, Dept of Agriculture, or Fish and Game, whichever organization it is you have there that has jurisdiction over wildlife laws.

Use of the forum search function with the word "Ohio" will also help you out.

On that note, if you are new to keeping caudates, It my be wise to let your camera do the collecting, and try your hand with a beginner friendly CB species first. Newts and salamanders can be a bit tricky the first time around.

d4d

Reaction score
I found I need 25$ permit for myself or a 40$ for sale/give to friends. This time of year what/where should I look what form can I expect? I am really hoping to find some eastern tigers bt as this is a first I'll be excited with anything!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Petersen's Field Guide Series

Amphibians of North America

Eastern Edition

Check out the Book Reviews Section on the forums for more information on numerous useful books.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1