Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mudpuppy Fungal Infection

N

nathanael

I have a Mudpuppy that I think has a fungal infection. Its skin has a kind of whitish stuff all over. I've read that a salt bath works. Should I totally submerse the salamander during this, and how much salt do I need and for how long? Thanks!

C

cameron

Do you have a picture. I think it could be molting. Is it covering the entire body.

ryan

Reaction score
Are the patches almost like a shiny bluish color? Mine has those on its tail. I don't think its harmful though because he just ate (like 30 minutes ago) and I doubt he would if he was stressed by an illness. So if it is what I decribed I guess you shouldn't worry but a pic could help. Oh and is the whitish stuff have a fuzzy look?

N

nathanael

That's what's really weird. The stuff on his body does not look "fuzzy" but kind of slimy. Also, on its leg it is red and looks like it might be infected. It is eating voraciously however and is very active. Sorry I can't have a photo of it. The stuff isn't covering its body entirely but mostly is on its lower part, especially on its tail.

ryan

Reaction score
Where did you get the mudpuppy? If it was from Carolina or Nasco Biological it probably is a fungal infection, I have heard quite some bad things from people who got them from those places. Thats why I got mine from Wards Biological. Also if he is eating that is a good sign beause i he was in great harm I don't think he would eat let alone move.

(Message edited by i_love_necturus on March 04, 2007)

N

nathanael

I got him 3 years ago at That Fish Place in PA (great pet store, I really miss it since we moved). Up till now he's been in great shape.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1