Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lesser Waxworms

SmallPetFeeders

Reaction score
Has anyone worked with the Lesser Waxworm before? Also known as the pink waxworm? I got my hands on 4 cultures finally, but would like to know what these things look like, because the cultures seem to be producing mini-moths quite quickly, but I can't see any dang worms. They must be SMALL!

Also if anyone has a large number of these guys, I'd love to trade you for them. I have just about every feeder bug you need :)

-Dave
SPF

morg

Reaction score
Take a look at this article

Waxmoths

when the cultures are producing the larvae they do start off really tiny, but grow quickly, at which time they will climb the sides of the culture vessel, or will congregate in the paper towels or whatever you use.
as long as you have moths, you will have lots of eggs, so the larvae will soon be plentifull, and you will be able to start many more cultures

olmrudyk

Reaction score
Hello Dave,
I was breeding 3-4 kinds of moths. When the medium was good, the Lesser Wax worm, Achroia sp. Was reachng about 2+cm long That’s not much less then a regular size of commercial Greater Wax worm Galleria melonella. With its maximum size close to 3cm Galleria is always more fatty and is 2 - 4 times heavier than Achroia is. Lesser wax worm is a great feeder: same as tasty ( if not better) and much more hard and easy then Galleria. I was breeding Achroia for 2 or 3 years and never saw it pink. A pink color has another moth, that I bred for just one season. I think it was Indian Meal moth, Plodia sp. Usually Plodia is under 1 cm. It’s also easy to cultivate, but much less prolific and far not as tasty for animals as Galleria or Achroia are.
Alex

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!