Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DC Press: Leeches ferry infection among newts

W

wes

<u>EUREKALERT! </u>(Washington, DC) 31 January 07 Leeches ferry infection among newts (Contact: Amitabh Avasthi; axa47@psu.edu; 814-865-9481, Penn State)
Parasite-carrying bloodsucking leeches may be delivering a one-two punch to newts, according to biologists, who say the discovery may provide clues to disease outbreaks in amphibians.
The findings could also lead to a better understanding of diseases affecting humans, such as malaria, chagas disease and sleeping sickness. All these diseases are transmitted through a vector, an organism that spreads disease from one animal to another.
The researchers found evidence for leech-borne transmission of a little-known fungus-like organism of the genus Ichthyophonus, which infects the muscles of red-spotted newts and other amphibians in North America. It does not appear to kill amphibians but might affect their ability to reproduce. "This is the first evidence that newts are getting infected through the bites of leeches," said Thomas R. Raffel, a postdoctoral researcher at Penn State's Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics, and the study's lead author.
Early infections in the newts appear as clusters of small dark dots under the skin, which can later develop into a large area of swollen muscle. The swollen muscle contains many spores (also called spherules), each of which contains hundreds of infectious cells called endospores. Raffel and his colleagues think that the infection is transmitted when one of these spores bursts open and releases its endospores onto the mouthparts of a feeding leech. Their findings are outlined in the January issue of <u>Journal of Parasitology</u>.
In 2004, Raffel and his Penn State colleagues Peter J. Hudson, professor of biology, and James R. Dillard, then an undergraduate student and now with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, conducted a survey of 16 red-spotted newt populations in lakes and ponds near Centre County, Pa. They found the disease in 12 of the 16 newt populations.
A strong correlation between infection prevalence and numbers of bloodsucking leeches, plus the finding that the infection is more likely to appear on commonly bitten body parts, suggested that leeches were the most likely vehicle transferring the disease. Further work showed that new infections generally begin at sites recently bitten by leeches, which leave behind a characteristic patch of blood under the skin.
Raffel, whose work is funded by the National Science Foundation, says "when a leech sticks its proboscis into an infected newt, either the mechanical action of the probe or the anti-inflammatory chemicals injected by the leech, could be used by the parasite as a cue to release its packet of spores. The spores could then latch on to the leech's proboscis, and the infection would be passed along to the next newt the leech bites."
The researchers point out that Ichthyophonus might not be as contagious as other leech-transmitted amphibian parasites. That is because this particular parasite lodges itself in muscle tissue instead of blood. A leech would have to be feeding right on top of a newt's infected muscle in order to transmit the infection. However, it is still unclear if the spores are multiplying within the leech, or simply ferrying on its proboscis.
Even though the infection is not fatal to the newts, it could affect their numbers, says Raffel . "When newts get infected, they often stop breeding, apparently to shore up their immune system to fight off the disease. But that comes at the cost of having fewer offspring," he adds.
Findings from the study may also indicate that human activities could lead to increases in the infection, since these leeches are most abundant in wetlands with lots of aquatic vegetation.
The Penn State researchers say fertilizer-laden wastewater from farms and other sources often causes increased growth of aquatic vegetation in ponds, providing leeches with a firmer footing. "It could lead to more leeches and create potential hotspots of disease," Raffel noted.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-01/ps-lfi013107.php

W

wes

<u>PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER</u> (Pennsylvania) 12 February 07 The knotty problem of what infects the newt - It could be (ugh) blood-sucking leeches.
A fungus-like parasite has been found in several kinds of North American amphibians, including bullfrogs and the red-spotted newt. But scientists couldn't explain how they were getting infected.
Now, some Pennsylvania State University biologists think they have the answer, at least for the newts - and it is not for the squeamish:
Blood-sucking leeches.
The researchers can't prove it directly, but the leeches appear to be carrying the parasite from newt to newt with their bites.
They cited several lines of evidence in a recent issue of the Journal of Parasitology, after studying newt populations in 16 lakes and ponds in central Pennsylvania.
First, the more leeches that the team found in a particular pond, the more likely the newts in that pond were to show signs of infection - swelling and clusters of small black dots on the skin.
Also, signs of infection were concentrated on the body parts most likely to be bitten by leeches, such as the head and throat. And infections were observed growing out of the telltale spots of blood under the skin, left behind by leech bites.
The infection doesn't seem to kill the newts, but it does appear to stop them from breeding, according to Penn State's Thomas Raffel, the study's lead author. Similar infections have been linked to deaths in other amphibians, a class of animals that is in worldwide decline.
Raffel concedes that the subject of his research is likely to disgust some, but notes that the newt-loving leech is not the same kind that feeds on people.
"I don't worry about them at all," Raffel says. "The first couple times I handled the leeches, I was kind of like 'eecchh!' But you kind of get used to it."
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/magazine/daily/16678351.htm?source=rss&channel=inquirer_daily

S

samuel

there going to be a conference about that in california, not sure the location yet, but will be next week ill let you know as soon as i can, if anyone interested

S

samuel

ok it will be at bakersfield in california, i know its not much help only the random location and will start on monday, cientist are triying to find a cure or something to this problem

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1