Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pipa carvalhoi

pollywog

Reaction score
Some pics of my Pipa carvalhoi. The pics are not very good but I will take more once they are settled in.
26186.jpg

26187.jpg

A

alan

Andrew,

Did Chris manage to solve the problem of them eating their offspring which he discussed here a while back, or are these the original stock from Lars?

pollywog

Reaction score
These are from Lars, Chris kindly bought them over for me. Mike posted pics of the breeding cradle Lars uses but chris found it did not work on his parva as the tads swim up to get a gulp of air before going back down and on their way down get eaten. I do have an idea for a different type of breeding trap but it is still on the drawing board.

pollywog

Reaction score
Yes it is quite a relief to finally get them in my care. They appear to be doing well, I have 3 of them, currently 3-4cm and eating anything and everything I give them.
They are currently in an 18"x12"x12" aquarium with bare bottom, with java moss and elodea, it is filtered by a fluvel plus 1 filter and heated to 25C. The carpet you can see under the tank is used to cusion the tank instead of polystyrene.

(Message edited by pollywog on November 14, 2004)

martin

Reaction score
Hello Andrew,
I never have kept Pipa.
Next year I want to start with a group of a small species e.g. parva or carvalhoi or a more rare species if available.

Topical I'm keeping:
some Hymenochirus sp. (pet trade), 1,3 Xenopus muelleri (Eastern form - Kenia???), 9 Silurana tropicalis (Nigeria) and 10 Pseudhymenochirus merlini (Guinea-Bissau)

Bye Martin

(Message edited by MartinTruckenbrodt on November 16, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1