Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pairs pipa condition

C

cola

Hi Paris,
Can you think of any condition that induced the frogs to breed? water temps, outside weather condition, light levels. etc. We all would appreciate any info about these conditions say about a week before right up until actual amplex? Looking forward the reading more. thanks Cola

colin

Reaction score
hi Cola, just noticed this post must have missed it some time ago...

i may be jumping the gun a bit as the post was asked to Paris but perhaps Paris will correct me if I am wrong?

The large Pipa pipa that are appearing in the USA and UK just now are wild caught from Guyana. Last year i think the bulk of them came from Paraguay and most of them died as far as I am aware. I also know of at least one adult that died a few days after a friend buying it this year. That's why i went for buying the 2cm babies that are available just now.

Anyway, as they are wild caught they are ready to spawn as they have had all the right cues happen to them, a bit of a disturbance in being caught and shipped but basically, if they were still in the wild just now they would be spawning...

I have been told that a change in atmospheric pressure is likely to trigger spawning in Pipa species.

In countries like Guyana they will be in the height of the dry season and that is when Pipa will breed and as the water is shallow it makes them easier to catch, that's why they are normally available this time of year... it measn that the babies will be free swimming by the time the wet season starts and food will be freely available.

light should always be 12 and 12

water temp in the wild at this time of year may reach into the 90s depending on the actual water body they live in, but during cold heavy rain that will drop into the 60s... general consensus is low to mid 70s for pipa.
hope some of this helps
Colin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1