Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GBR Press: Experts must capture newts

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
KNUTSFORD GUARDIAN (UK) 23 August 08 Experts must capture newts (Andrew McCreaddie)
At least 17 great crested newts will have to be captured before developers can start doubling the size of the Parkgate Industrial Estate.
It will be a delicate and difficult job and could take ecologists more than two months.
It is also one that can only be done during the breeding season.
The newts, which have been found living in ponds at Parkgate, are protected by law.
Last week agents HOW Planning said Monckton Properties would carry out whatever work was needed so it could develop the site.
“We’ve provided a mitigation proposal to make that development acceptable,” said spokesman Jon Suckley.
Details of what needs to be done are included in a report to Macclesfield Borough Council.
Monckton Properties, which is run by landowner Randle Brooks, hopes to create 1,150 jobs by building offices, warehouses and industrial units on farmland behind Parkgate Industrial Estate.
But first the company must apply for a Natural England licence to destroy the great crested newts’ habitats. The newts were discovered by torchlight by consultant ecologists Penny Anderson Associates who visited the site six times.
They found 17 great crested newts living in - or near - the seven ponds.
HOW Planning believes just one breeding ground will have to be destroyed but plans to replace it with three ponds. They also plan to create two more habitats nearby so that breeding grounds are closer and the newts can migrate from Tatton Park.
“These provisions will adequately compensate for the loss,” said Penny Anderson Associates.
About six months later experts will be expected to start capturing the newts in nets and bottles during the spring breeding season.
However, once the newts began to hibernate in October, the developers will not be allowed to disturb them.
The developers have also been told to install a fence to stop the newts re-entering the development site.
Experts must also create new habitats for birds, bats, toads, frogs and other newts founds on the site.
http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/quirkies/3616320.Experts_must_capture_newts/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1