Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Newts!!!

WolfKnight87

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Dennis, and I am new to the world of newts and salamanders. I am interested in setting up a 45g hexagonal tank I have around. I've been researching different species, and the FBJN sounds like a great candidate. I would like to incorperate live plants into the tank, as well as tankmates(or snacks from some stories lol). I would like to know what plants to look for that would be safe and provide lots of natural filtering(although I do plan to run something along the lines of an eheim 2217 for filtering). For tankmates I was thinking small plecos, ghost shrimp, white cloud minnows, snails, and or freshwater clams(not sure on how well clams work). I understand that I may have to replace a few tankmates from time to time as they may be mistaken for food. Like I said before the Japanese Fire Bellied Newt sounds like a great species, but what other critters might enjoy a semi-aquatic habitat? Any input on the subject would be great as I've done research, but I am just trying to make sense of it all. Thanks in advance!

aghiowa

Reaction score
Fire belly toads (Bombina orientalis) would also enjoy a semi-aquatic habitat, and are, in my experience, more interesting to watch than newts.

However, I love my newt too, and it's been a great pet and quite educational so far.

Good luck!
Angela

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you're looking to mix those species, a fire belly newt is not for you. Then again, neither is any newt species. For one, most of the species you want to mix (save the white cloud minnows) are tropical or sub-tropical species. Second, the species you want to mix can be a dangerous and deadly mix. Plecos have sharp spines, and if they are mistaken for a snack, chances are you will lose both the fish and the newt. Besides, plecos won't even fit in a 45 gallon tank; they can get well over a foot long!

WolfKnight87

Reaction score
Ya, I was weary about the pleco idea as I've read one of the mixed species horror stories in which the newt ate the pleco, spine punctured jaw, and in the end both died. Hmmm alot to think about thanks for the input so far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1