how do americans get euro newts

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
I live in The eastern United States, and I cannot find a source for European newt species. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer?

There are many breeders on this board. You may want to look through old for sale ads and see who has offered them in the past.

There are many breeders on this board. You may want to look through old for sale ads and see who has offered them in the past.

How is it normally done? Trade agreements or cash? How safe is the shipment?

Usually people offer animals for sale (some offer animals for trade, but it's rare), and you pay for them. Some people take checks, cash, pay-pal, lots of things. Shipping happens all the time. As long as you're buying from a reputable breeder, this shouldn't be an issue.

Usually people offer animals for sale (some offer animals for trade, but it's rare), and you pay for them. Some people take checks, cash, pay-pal, lots of things. Shipping happens all the time. As long as you're buying from a reputable breeder, this shouldn't be an issue.

Are there any breeders based in U.S.A. that deal in Palmate or Alpine newts? What part of this site lists sale ads? I'm sorry, I'm a first time user and not too comp. savvy!

I've never seen anyone offering Palmate newts in the US. But alpine newts are quite commonly captive bred and sold.

Palmate are not the easiest of newts to keep really, even in Britain where they are found in the wild very few people keep them. Best kept in the ponds of the UK I thinks.

Palmate are not the easiest of newts to keep really, even in Britain where they are found in the wild very few people keep them.

I'd disagree, I'd say they are easy to keep. I think the reason they aren't kept much in the UK is that they're legally prohibited from sale, and that 'familiarity breeds contempt'.

They can be kept in identical conditions to smooth and Montandon's newts, but are slightly more aquatic than either of these species; occasionally individuals will stay in the water through the year.

I'd disagree, I'd say they are easy to keep. I think the reason they aren't kept much in the UK is that they're legally prohibited from sale, and that 'familiarity breeds contempt'.
Spot on, as always.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back