ACF acting ill

Hi Innes,

I have had this happen to a frog before and it was also an albino laevis. i just dont think they are as strong as the normally pigmented frogs and may be more likely to get ill...

My albino died after doing similar stuff and it was in beside other frogs that were all fine (and still are). All the rest are pigmented.

As for life span they could live 20 years +

My advice is a nice big 80 - 100% water cange with aged tap water and see what happens from there.

As a side note I ALWAYS have a 5 gallon bucket full of water for cases like this where I notice something wrong... it only takes one chunk of uneaten food to get missed before the tank can crash...

Hope it comes round
C

I aint got aged tap water, the closest I can do is either water from another tank (I dont want to cross contaminate though) or new water and add carbon, I'm gunna do the 2nd.

an 80% water change will cause my tank to re-cycle and I cant afford to do that, but I can do some tank cleaning.

Do you have a filter in your tank? As long as you do then an 80% change wont make the tank cycle again... its maybe not ideal but then, its not ideal circumstances.

In case it is a toxin then a big change wil only help, if you can take it from another tank then go for it and get a bucket of water aging for another big water change tomorrow... I leave water overnight to allow chemicals to dissipate

Cheers

(Message edited by Colin on September 10, 2004)

ok well I have UGF but I have been used to this tank for years and I know the limit I can change at once, I have however over the past 2 days removed 40% a day so that is not too much differant.

I have also added active carbon

there are also more symtpms today, I'm starting to think that the frog is not ill, but injured as it has a red foot (well its going red) and also a red mark round one of its arms - I posted some not too great pics if you follow that link again, and I'm going to try to get some better ones in the morning.
it is also losing some of its skin, but then it does that every so often anyway.

my guess would be that the turtle caught it then... just read that they are in together... is it the softshell in your avator?

'red Leg' can start in isolated parts of the body and then spread but lets hope it is not that

Spasms can be caused my many different items including enviromental toxins. In cases where this is observed,immediatly performing a water change, adding carbon and monitoring the animal are the first important steps.

Just some comments,
Ed

the frog is larger than the turtle - I seriously do not believe this is because of the turtle, but yes it is a baby chinese softshell.

what is "red leg" and what what can you do about it? what would red leg cause?

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/doctor/redleg.html

check the link
happy.gif

Wont be long before the turtle develops its amphibian amputation skills

ok well the frog died
sad.gif

and I' aware of the turtles reputation and am planning a new home for it for when it is larger and can harm the other tankmates ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back