Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated ACF

I

innes

OK one of my Arfican Clawed frogs is now very bloated, and looks like a baloon, it is floating at the top of my tank, and tries to swim a little, it is a really odd shape as it looks like it is full of air.

Whats going on, I know nothing about frogs and what can go worng, and I have no idea what to do.

K

kaysie

innes, you might be better off posting on kingsnake.com. they're pretty big on frogs over there.

I

innes

I have also posted on Predfish were It was suggested that my frog has dropsy, and to medicate with regular fish medicine (which I have) so I have seperated it and have started treatment.

J

josef

ACFs seem to frequently get bloated thighs and the most convincing reason for this I've heard is that their lymph hearts malfunction and pump out of the extremities. My oldest does this all the time and suffers no ill effects. If, however, it's the whole body that's bloated, I'd be more worried. It seems more common in ADFs than ACFs. You might try pipidae.net for some thoughts or the yahoo group clawed frog corner. I've heard of people drawing out the excess fluid or gas with a syringe and having the animal make a complete recovery. Some sites even say to do this as soon as possible, as the bloat may interfere with organ function. Still, I don't know the best treatment as there seems to be a lot of different opinions out there.

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
a direct link to my website: http://pipidae.net/faq_illness.php

The information is not absolutely actually.

To give them higher temperature is only recommend for bloated frogs with air under their skin!

I will update the information there next days.

Bye Martin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!