Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. wenxianensis picture

Ester

Reaction score
There's an advantage to this species playing dead when touched..
However, you can almost feel the newt radiating its displeasure while taking pictures.

After a year of keeping this species it's still as reclusive as ever. They will not beg for food and each time they eat I still feel a great sense of accomplishment/gratefulness. This is the only species where I get excited on seeing a poo! Admittedly, a poo can be 3cm long and half a cm in diameter. For a 12 cm long animal, that is quite an accomplishment. They don't poo often.
If they move, it's during the night. However, they can easily stay in a single spot for a month or two.

My first target reached, keeping them alive for a year. I am not sure if my second target will ever be achieved. I would like to try and breed them, however, I have no way of making certain that I have a pair. Their cloaca's are very similar. With only two animals in my possession, it's hard to tell if this is normal or if I have two males or two females.

Current setup:
20x30x30cm, mine are not prone to escape (based on the fact that they hardly move at all). The soil I use is humus (coconut fiber) with dried beech tree leaves mixed in to slowly decompose in the rather wet soil. They show a strong dislike for open spaces, cork tube as a hide is therefor unsuitable. Rather, they'll dig themselves into plain soil should they lack a suitable place for hiding.
I created a lean-to with a piece of flat bark resting on the cork tube. They can mostly be found underneath it, wedged in between the bark roof and the soil.

I keep the soil pretty wet, though not soppy. They will dig down into the soil if the top layer becomes too dry.

The placing of their terrarium is on the east side of the house in the window sill. They get plenty of morning sunshine. I have tried placing the setup elsewhere (where no sunshine reaches the setup) however, to me at least this seems to affect their willingness to eat in a negative way.
Before feeding I mist the setup extensively. They are still picky eaters, with one eating only wax worms, and the other only earth worms. They'll eat once every 1-2 weeks during the summer months, less during winter.

I never kept a log of when I find poo, but I would hazard a guess at once a month. Poo tends to be a compact oval bundle, a bit pointy on one side. I recently noticed there seem to be two sizes, something in the range of 1.5-2 cm and the other is 3 cm.

Overall appearance: one seems to be "fatter" or rather a bit more filled out than the other. This has always been thus. On hopeful days I like to think this indicates that I may have a male and a female after all. But I fear this is being hopeful and not really based on anything real.

Attachments

• 10 june 2007 not amused.jpg
    10 june 2007 not amused.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 409
  • 10 june 2007 setup.jpg
    10 june 2007 setup.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 10 june 2007 female.jpg
    10 june 2007 female.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 501

rigsby

Reaction score
good luck on one day breeding them and fingers crossed you that have a pair. Not the typical feed me ,FEED ME NOW, tylo's then hey. Isn't it funny how the sight of poo can sometimes gladden your heart ,i'm the same with new morphs when i see this for the first time...sad isn't it ..

freves

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the update Ester. Hopefully you will have a pair. I understand your frustration over the overall lack of inactivity. The E. andersoni that I am raising behave in a similar manner. Since they are burrowers perhaps you could go out and dig up some local grubs of appropriate size and see if that would interest them. Just a thought.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1