Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Blinking" with gills?

Randi

Reaction score
Hello, I've had my axies for two days. I didn't notice this the first day, but now I am noticing that every so often they quickly flap their gills back and then forward again. The entire motion takes place in less than one second. Is this normal or does it mean something?

Randi

Reaction score
Ha! Well I guess that means it would be highly abnormal if they didn't do it! Sounds like a silly question now, but these are my first axies and I had no clue. Thanks so much!

HayleyK

Reaction score
Not necessarily highly abnormal, they breathe through their gills (flicking helps the gas exchange) and lungs! So you might see them gulping for air too. I have one axie that is a flicker, and the other is a gulper. I've seen her gill flick like 20 times max since I got her back in 2011!

Nothing is a silly question, we're all here to learn and care for our babies :) I stress about the smallest things and have had axolotls for almost 3 years, still learning new things!

What kind of axies do you have :D

Randi

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I have one golden albino, one leucistic, and one wild type from Zaria on the for sale forum. :)

Mama Mia

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of an Axie owning you:happy:
My guy Aztec does the gill thing too and sometimes it's funny it looks he's waving and he gulps too, you will see then doing all kinds of funny and crazy things......
Th fun is just begaining

Take Care and have a great evening

Mama Mia :smile::ufo::

Petersgirl

Reaction score
My Toothie is a blinker, my Gally is a gulper. It's so funny and cute! One of the best things they do when they blink is when their eyes go slightly into their heads and their gills are flapping - they do it when they're trying very hard to suck up a worm!

Tooth's gills flick around once every 10 seconds :) It's one of those things that will totally freak you out the first time, like floating, seeing spots appear, seeing a cloaca (!) appear, yawning...you name it, you wouldn't be the first to freak out over it :)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Mine all seem to do it in sync, just one after the other after the other, then they restart at the beginning. Lmao sometimes I swear they talk to each other.

I have one who gulps air from outside the water and will "sleep" floating at the top. That use to give me a heart attack when i first got them..

Congrats on your axie :) and you will learn that if it is weird.. Its probably normal. ;p i got mine a 50gallon tank and what do they do? All squeeze in one hide together.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Know that feeling Alkylhalide! 6 hides, two axolotls, Their solution?
"I know! Let's share the same one!'
My axxies are not good at maths lol! :)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I have 5 adults that seem to be able to fit into one hide! I dont know lotl logic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1