C. pyrrho adults and juveniles together?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
My biggest three juvenile pyrrho's are now between 65 and 75mm total length, they are fully aquatic and are strong swimmers with broad tails, just like miniature adults really. I was wondering if it would be safe to move them in with their parents? I'm not worried about them drowning or anything like that, but are the adults likely to try to eat them? The females are very large and hefty, not really fat, but just big animals with big heads and big mouths, although they show no interest in eating the larvae that are in with them. I would like to move the bigger youngsters out of the rearing tank to free up space a little, and allow me to concentrate on packing some size in their smaller siblings that are starting to get out competed at feeding time. When do you other pyrrho keepers add youngsters to the main group?

In my experience, it´s perfectly safe to put them together with those sizes. I have and i had zero problems.
Then again my experience so far is limited to a single pair of offspring that i have been "holding" for some friends for two years ¬¬....
Mind you, i think the pyrrhos are the least aggressive and cannibalistic species i´ve kept so i really think you should have no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the reply Azhael, I think I'll put them in at the weekend when I can keep an eye on them for the first few hours. I think the males may try to mate with them but that's probably more of an annoyance than a danger to them! :)

Lol, they will, you can bet money on that...

I have some little tiddlers that are in with my adults and they are fine. They seem to like hanging out with the adults :D

Isn't it strange that the adults will eat eggs all day long, yet they never seem to eat the larvae? I have nine larvae that I left with the parents this year and they do seem to congregate around the adults. Who knows, maybe they've learned to pick up the fallout when the adults are feeding on something messy?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back