Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: 1 of 2 axolotls ill

stevencruics

Reaction score
I have 2 axolotls in the same tank.
the tank is 50L with a 200L/H filter and small airstone.

the tank parameters are .25 ammonia .25 nitrite 40 nitrate ph 7.2

i have noticed my albino has been gulping air a lot more than the other.
he has not eaten properly in weeks (i thought it was just a spell and was offering food each day)
how ever i notice the last few days he has been on the bottom of the tank with his rear end floating. he cannot control his bouyancy as he was swimming around upside down frantically trying to right himself.

now today he has been found lying on his side, bloated really badly, and is barely moving. the other axolotl seems fine and they are in the same tank.
i have fridged him for just now but could use some advice.
regards guy and thank you for any help

keiko

Reaction score
Both ammonia and nitrite should be at 0 as they're toxic. Have you cycled your tank? How often do you change the water in your tank? The tank is really small for two axies (unless they're still tiny) and in a small tank the water goes bad very easily.

Skudo09

Reaction score
The tank size is a bit small for two axolotls. You may find they flourish better in a larger tank setup. From your readings it appears your tank is in the process of cycling. There may have been spikes in ammonia and nitrite. What is the temperature? Substrate? What do you feed them?

Are you able to post a photo?

stevencruics

Reaction score
the tank is at the end of its cycling period.
temp is normal at 16-17 degrees substrate is sand and i feed bloodworms (trying to get them onto earthworms but they will not accept)
my axies are around 5" long and i changed between 50% and 75% water daily to combat ammonia and nitrite untill cycling finishes.

Skudo09

Reaction score
If you persist with earthworms and don't offer them anything else they will accept them eventually. They won't starve themselves. Have you tried blanching the worms? They excrete a foul tasting secretion sometimes which axolotls don't like. If you pour hot water over the worms, it will kill the worms. immediately pour cold water over the worms afterwards to cool them down and then try and offer the worms to the axolotls. This may help transition them to worms.

It sounds like you are on top of the cycling process which is really good :)

Has he been pooing normally?

Some photos would really help to get a better idea of what might be happening.

stevencruics

Reaction score
i have tried everything on the worm front over the last week.
im not sure if he is pooing normally as in not really there to see it although the tank has been cleaner than usual.
all i know that is diferent to usual is the non-eating for 2 weeks.
bouancy issues yesterday(not serious)
and then bloated little movement today. ill get photos as soon as i can. within next 2 hours.

stevencruics

Reaction score
unfortunately i think my albino has passed on :( i checked on him in the fridge and there is no movement atall. i have tried lightly touching his legs and tail with no response :( ive read somewhere once that someones axolotl liked to play dead :( he will stay in the fridge till tomorrow i think and if nothing happens then im affraid its good bye :(

still do not know what caused it, any ideas are welcome.
my pink leucistic is still in the tank. ive checked her over. no obvious injuries. no signs of stress. gills look healthy. and she has no problems balancing at the bottom of the tank.
thank you all :(

Sweetie

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. :sad: It will be interesting to hear opinions on what caused it, and on whether albino axies are more 'delicate' (or less robust) than other lotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!