Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Re: Cynops pyrrhogaster in the wild

sde

Reaction score

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...ops-pyrrhogaster-i-wild-b-special-b-font.html

I know this is a really old thread, but looking at these pictures got me thinking....

A lot of these are in streams, so couldn't you in theory successfully keep them in a setup like this? And the streams don't really have any plants in them either. Couldn't this work instead of a heavily planted tank? Just thinking out loud here :happy: -Seth

Last edited by a moderator:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: <font color="0000ff"><i>Cynops pyrrhogaster</i> in the wild - <b>Special!</b></font>

I love this thread and have read the whole thing several times. As I understand it, the newts in the faster flowing shallows were just released there having been collected from the deeper pools further up where the current is much slower. There are no visible weeds or water plants, but there would be fallen leaves and roots for cover. I suppose it's also possible that the newts just spend their day to day life in he stream and could congregate elsewhere in the breeding season?

From what I've seen with my own small group of C. pyrrhogaster, they don't seem bothered at all by slight movement in the water from airstones or diffused spraybars. I've tried many planting levels from sparse to pretty much choked with weed. The newts seem happiest with areas of dense plants that grow all the way to the surface for resting, interspersed with clear areas where they can hunt, feed and swim directly up to the top for air without having to crawl through anything to get there.
It's a shame Tim Johnson doesn't post on here any more, I've learned an awful lot about C. pyrrho's by reading his threads.

sde

Reaction score
Re: <font color="0000ff"><i>Cynops pyrrhogaster</i> in the wild - <b>Special!</b></font>

From what I've seen with my own small group of C. pyrrhogaster, they don't seem bothered at all by slight movement in the water from airstones or diffused spraybars. I've tried many planting levels from sparse to pretty much choked with weed. The newts seem happiest with areas of dense plants that grow all the way to the surface for resting, interspersed with clear areas where they can hunt, feed and swim directly up to the top for air without having to crawl through anything to get there.
It's a shame Tim Johnson doesn't post on here any more, I've learned an awful lot about C. pyrrho's by reading his threads.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Chinadog!

There are no visible weeds or water plants, but there would be fallen leaves and roots for cover. I suppose it's also possible that the newts just spend their day to day life in he stream and could congregate elsewhere in the breeding season?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. So then, from you experience with these newts do you think it would be possible to keep them in a slow deep creek kind of a setup throughout the year until the breeding season, and then you could transfer them to a heavily planted tank to breed?

Thanks for sharing!

It's a shame Tim Johnson doesn't post on here any more, I've learned an awful lot about C. pyrrho's by reading his threads.
[/QUOTE]

It is unfortunate that he isn't still around indeed, I too have learned a lot from him.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. So then, from you experience with these newts do you think it would be possible to keep them in a slow deep creek kind of a setup throughout the year until the breeding season, and then you could transfer them to a heavily planted tank to breed?
Maybe, but to me, the fact that they're in the stream shows how adaptable they are in the absence of ideal conditions. outside the breeding season they can probably be found in all kinds of terrestrial and aquatic habitats.
In captivity we tend to keep them in optimal conditions so they remain aquatic all year round, but some populations are probably forced become terrestrial in the wild, so theoretically you could keep them in a terrarium outside the breeding season like Triturus or Taricha, but we know that they can live long healthy lives in a planted aquarium with minimal water movement, so that's how most people keep them..
Are you thinking of getting some C. pyrrhogaster, Seth?

sde

Reaction score

Maybe, but to me, the fact that they're in the stream shows how adaptable they are in the absence of ideal conditions. outside the breeding season they can probably be found in all kinds of terrestrial and aquatic habitats.
In captivity we tend to keep them in optimal conditions so they remain aquatic all year round, but some populations are probably forced become terrestrial in the wild, so theoretically you could keep them in a terrarium outside the breeding season like Triturus or Taricha, but we know that they can live long healthy lives in a planted aquarium with minimal water movement, so that's how most people keep them..
Are you thinking of getting some C. pyrrhogaster, Seth?

Okay, I understand. I was just wondering because yes, I am planning on getting some C. pyrrhogaster in the future, and a slow stream setup would be a lot easier for me to recreate in a aquarium. But if it is not the ideal conditions for them then I will not do that. That is why I asked, and I am glad you answered with all your knowledge on this species.

Thanks Chinadog!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Lol! The only knowledge I have has come from talking to other members and endlessly reading on here and over on CC.
It would definitely be worth tracking down some pyrrho's, they are fascinating and peaceful creatures. I wouldn't part with mine for a pig and six young 'uns! :)

sde

Reaction score

Lol! The only knowledge I have has come from talking to other members and endlessly reading on here and over on CC.
It would definitely be worth tracking down some pyrrho's, they are fascinating and peaceful creatures. I wouldn't part with mine for a pig and six young 'uns! :)

Chinadog, as far as I am concerned you are very knowledgeable on this species! I wish I knew as much about Taricha as you do Pyrrhogaster. There are plenty of pyrrhos over here, shouldn't be too hard to find some.
A pig and six young 'uns eh? I am not sure I would want six young 'uns to begin with :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

They do seem easier to find over there, in the UK they are still hard to come by. Its quite rare them advertised, even on this site, although quite a few people have bought morphs or older juveniles from me so that might change in the future.
A pig and six young 'uns is an old English saying, it means a pig and six piglets. The piglets are the money makers of the deal, they scan be sent to market or fattened up for pork or whatever. It means I wouldn't part with my pyrrho's for any price. ;) :)

sde

Reaction score

Yeah I saw that you are selling C. pyrrhogaster, so the 'population' over there should increase for shore, which is great.

A pig and six young 'uns is an old English saying, it means a pig and six piglets. The piglets are the money makers of the deal, they scan be sent to market or fattened up for pork or whatever. It means I wouldn't part with my pyrrho's for any price. ;) :)

Yeah I figured it was an old saying, but I thought the young 'uns part was referring to children heh....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!