Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. pyrrhogaster male - which race?

AuSu

Reaction score
Thought to ask you wiser guys about this one. There is no locality data (I got three pyrrhos from a person who finished her hobby, assumingly they've been bought on pet trade about five yrs ago) but the female looks like a sasayamae. I've checked out those pictures linked here (site in Japanese) but can't decide whether he looks most sasayamae or not.

They haven't ever bred though there are two males and a female. Of course it can be due living conditions but also maybe different race (although I've read here they can mix)

Thanks for your opinions!
Auli

Attachments

• WP_20141002_08_38_02_Pro.JPG
    WP_20141002_08_38_02_Pro.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 423

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He has a typical Sasayama belly pattern, but it's pretty much impossible to be certain without knowing where he was collected. Sasayama males place one of their hind feet on the female's head/neck while tail fanning in the breeding season, so if he does that, coupled with the belly pattern its very likely he's Sasayama.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, he looks sasayama. If they were bought together from the pet trade, they are likely to have come from the same general locality.

C

AuSu

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the answers! I suppose they were bought together. Have to wait and see if they get to breeding mood any time, about the leg thing :)
Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1