Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help sexing chinese fire bellies

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Im having a hard time telling the sex of my two. one is a bit smaller then the other so maybe they need to grow more?

The bigger one

And the smaller

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I think you might have a pair there, but could you post pictures of them in the water? I'll be able to say definitely if I can see them in water

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I would say the first picture is female, and the second could be male, but it would be easier with a side view picture with the newt underwater

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Its so hard to get good pictures when they wont stay still lol... Im thinking either i have two males or the bigger one is female and the little one is male? But I want to hear others opinions :)

heres the little one

And the bigger one

sde

Reaction score
I agree with Stuart and Aaron, looks like a pair to me, first one is a female, second one is a male. But Aaron is right, it would be easier and we could be more accurate if it was through glass and the newt was in the water. -Seth

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Seth, I Posted better pictures in the post above yours. Do those help?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Looks like a pair to me, though raising eggs of this specie can be very irritating

sde

Reaction score
Seth, I Posted better pictures in the post above yours. Do those help?

Sorry, I didn't see that post before I posted my post. It still looks like a male and female to me :)

Why irritating?

Because the morphs are so tiny, they are hard to feed and raise, and there isn't a large demand for this species.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I think the demand will change once importation has been stopped though. The problem is once they are on the Lacey act, we cannot do interstate transport at all. USARK is suing over the interstate transport rule. If they prevail in that lawsuit, it would be the best of both worlds for a breeder, imports shut down and interstate commerce allowed. However, I imagine they would just ammend the bill or pass new regulations shortly thereafter.

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Yeah I figured there wasn't a huge demand for them. I didn't intentionally get a pair. Just ended up that way I guess lol..

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
i bought 6 at a reptile show and lost one like 4 months ago. the 5 i have now are doing great they laid eggs for first time and only had 3 larvae swimming around. pretty cool though. i bought them for 3 bucks each . crazy how cheap they are

Stupot1610

Reaction score
i bought 6 at a reptile show and lost one like 4 months ago. the 5 i have now are doing great they laid eggs for first time and only had 3 larvae swimming around. pretty cool though. i bought them for 3 bucks each . crazy how cheap they are

Unfortunately there is a reason why they are so cheap, and it's not a good one. Sadly, what you are buying is a group of wild caught newts imported from China in huge numbers and very poor conditions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!