Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to care for transitioning Axolotl through metamorphosis

meteordemon

Reaction score
Hello! I recently obtained an axolotl from a friend that has gone through metamorphosis. It was a copper and as an adult morph its unmistakably not another species of tiger salamander. That being said, it is almost completely changed. Its gills are completely gone, and its dorsal fin too. It also has eyelids now. I have it in a small water tank with a large fake rock for it to leave the water if desired. the rest of, and majority of the tank is coconut fiber.

As of now it seems like its fine, it is eating very well and is active, but doesn't seem ready to leave the water on its own. It also seems like its legs aren't ready quite for land yet? Will it make this change on its own? Do i need to guide it onto land? If anyone has experience with any captive tiger salamander metamorphosis care, id love some input as to what you all think. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!