Outdoor setup

Christophe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone keeps their axolotls in outdoor ponds, pools, or habitats? Especially in spring, summer, and fall when weather permits?

I actually haven't seen anyone- probably because temperature fluctuates too much and its probably hard to control the water levels and the amount of light they receive. I'm sure somebody keeps them out on the porch but maybe not fully in a pond.

The climate would have to be pretty constant all year, not getting too hot or cold. Personally I feel something like a pond should only be attempted if you have experience maintaining stock in ponds already, too many unpredictable risks.

Hi Guys.

Newbie to this forum from Western Australia.

I have a small outdoor pond approximately 3 metres long by .4 to .2 of a metre wide by .3 meter deep. My axie (lola cause thats pretty much all she does - lolls around) is very happy in her habitat.

I have a small pump picking up the water at one end and dropping it back at the other end to maintain some water flow. She seems to like it as she spends a fair bit of time under the water reentry point.

The pond is in a courtyard nestled adjacent to a wall and under a vertical garden which provides ample shade during the day.

water temp control - I have a dual thermometer which allows me to monitor both water and ambient air temperature.

Summer does get hot here but unless it is very humid and hot for a couple of days or more in a row, then it isnt a problem. I rotate a number of frozen water bottles to drop the temp when required. A fan isnt a good idea when the air temp is higher than the desired water temp.

before next summer I will look at alternative ways to cool the water if anyone has any ideas.

the usual water changes - I reuse the pond water to hand water parts of the vertical garden.

Best of all - I have pretty much stopped having to feed Lola. She prefers to do the predator thing (no - not the alien). No mosquitos as she eats all the larvae. Her favourite are the earthworms which find their way into the pond. (ok - I did add an extra couple of thousand earthworms to the surrounding garden and keep them fed - just for her :)

so yes axies can be kept in a pond. I deliberately did not make mine too large so that I can see her in the evenings.

cheers

Evan

Hi Guys.

Newbie to this forum from Western Australia.

I have a small outdoor pond approximately 3 metres long by .4 to .2 of a metre wide by .3 meter deep. My axie (lola cause thats pretty much all she does - lolls around) is very happy in her habitat.

I have a small pump picking up the water at one end and dropping it back at the other end to maintain some water flow. She seems to like it as she spends a fair bit of time under the water reentry point.

The pond is in a courtyard nestled adjacent to a wall and under a vertical garden which provides ample shade during the day.

water temp control - I have a dual thermometer which allows me to monitor both water and ambient air temperature.

Summer does get hot here but unless it is very humid and hot for a couple of days or more in a row, then it isnt a problem. I rotate a number of frozen water bottles to drop the temp when required. A fan isnt a good idea when the air temp is higher than the desired water temp.

before next summer I will look at alternative ways to cool the water if anyone has any ideas.

the usual water changes - I reuse the pond water to hand water parts of the vertical garden.

Best of all - I have pretty much stopped having to feed Lola. She prefers to do the predator thing (no - not the alien). No mosquitos as she eats all the larvae. Her favourite are the earthworms which find their way into the pond. (ok - I did add an extra couple of thousand earthworms to the surrounding garden and keep them fed - just for her :)

so yes axies can be kept in a pond. I deliberately did not make mine too large so that I can see her in the evenings.

cheers

Evan

Interesting! I'd love to see photos if you have some.

Have you tried a fan? It doesn't really matter what the air temp is because it cools by evaporation not by blowing cool air. The only downside is using electronics outdoors where it could rain (though, Perth, not sure how much it rains there haha) is possibly not the best idea.
Does the water temp fluctuate a lot throughout the course of a normal day/night?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back