Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! I think my axolotls are dying!

A

amber

Please can someone out there help me!
About 3 weeks ago I fed my two axolotls (max - brown & Frodo - golden albino) two tadpoles each and ever since then they have been going downhill - they now are refusing to eat (even Max who is the greediest axolotl in the world) and they are listless and float. They even sometimes tip over onto their sides or back and stay there and i get worried and flip them back over onto their tummies. They aren't even holding themselves up with their feet when they sit on the bottom, and they no longer do 'laps' of the tank at night (which they used to do regularly).
Their tank is clean and has a quality filter & aeration system, and Max has been with me for 3 years with out any problems ever before. I have had Frodo since Xmas.
I read in my book "Axolotls" by Peter Scott that caution should be given when feeding axolotls wild food, such as tadpoles, because they can pick up diseases from them. I suspect this is what has happened.
Are there any over-the-counter treatments available in petshops in NSW Australia, what is it called & how much is it? I am only willing to go to the vet as a last resort because our local one is so expensive (and my Mum would have to pay the bill, which she doesn't want to do!!)
Or do you know of any tried & tested methods for home or herbal treatments? Or have you been in this experience yourself or know of someone/or a good website that can give me come answers.
Please reply to cherries123@hotmail.com
as I don't check the forum often because my computer doesn't like me doing it.
Please help b4 my beloved axolotls die!
Thanks for your help, from Amber.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1