Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why earthworms?

Skudo09

Reaction score
Hi!
Why earthworms ?

Many varied interesting answers have already been posted. Most of them speak about nutritional concerns.

A point that I've not red about is :
I'v noticed that, during periods when I feed my axies, ribbed newts and other aquatics with earthworms only, the aquarium keeps clean. When I start giving pellets or pieces of fish flesh (because lack of earthworms), the tank become dirty more quickly (algae, trouble water and so on...).

I suppose earthworms are better assimilated by the caudates but I've no solid data about that.

Has anyone noticed something similar?

They certainly are a good choice for a food that doesn't foul the water :)

MistyMeadow3

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but i thought i'd add to it. The breeder i got my lotl from is a biology teacher. He told me that they eat crayfish in the wild. Mine has a diet of blood worms, ghost shrimp, turtle pellets, and soon will be adding in guppies and worms. also-the occasional cricket. ANYWAY that answers what they eat in the wild.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but i thought i'd add to it. The breeder i got my lotl from is a biology teacher. He told me that they eat crayfish in the wild. Mine has a diet of blood worms, ghost shrimp, turtle pellets, and soon will be adding in guppies and worms. also-the occasional cricket. ANYWAY that answers what they eat in the wild.

Personally I am not a fan of feeding fish as they are of poor nutritional quality and carry parasites and diseases that can affect axolotls. But if you do wish to have fish as a food source make sure you quarantine them first and that they are not showing any signs of illness or parasites. Also crickets have a hard exoskeleton that can be difficult to digest and if fed too much of this type of meal can cause constipation. They are acceptable as an occasional treat but don't feed these items too often. I would stick to earthworms or newt pellets as staple foods with everything else as a treat.

MistyMeadow3

Reaction score
Oh i'm gonna give him the ones that my pet guppies have, deffinatly not buying feeders. :rofl:
And i learned my lesson about too many crickets. i'm gonna slowly give him the left overs and not buy them anymore. Why should the exoskeleton be an issue since they eat crustations in the wild?

Skudo09

Reaction score
It is advised not to feed insects with hard exoskeletons (chitin) too often as it has become known that the chitin is difficult to digest and takes time to pass through their digestive tract. If fed too often, the amount of chitin in their digestive tract builds up and causes blockage and therefore constipation.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I've fed mussel meat and also cockles to my babies. They don't really take them all that readily, and if any is left behind it really fouls the water and makes it stink (especially bad if little Axel has chomped his cockle then spat it out behind a plant when you leave the room!)

Worms are so much cleaner and I find axxies can't resist them - especially fresh from the supplier!

NellyAxolotl

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people saying that they take worms from their gardens or yard to feed their axolotls, and a lot of other people saying that this is dangerous to do because these worms might have diseases or parasites.

Which answer is the right answer?

Right now I feed my axolotls only store bought worms but this can be inconvenient, during fishing seasons it is very hard to find worms in any store. I also live out in the country, a good 30 minutes from any store that sells worms. I know I have plenty of worms in my yard and garden that would be a much more convenient source for me and my axolotls.

Has anyone actually experienced their axolotl getting a parasite or disease from a worm they dug up from their garden?

miniwaterdragon

Reaction score
I like to do a combination of earthworms and guppies since my guppies like to produce like crazy in their 10 gallon tanks. Good in protein.

GBrooks

Reaction score
Re: Wy earthworms?

thank you Jennewt, that is very interesting..

I hear what you're saying about fish and totally understand... I wonder, though, if there are comps when people have fed axies exclusively on healthy fish?

I also remember as a kid (so we are going back a few decades) reading in books that raw meat should be the staple diet. I appreciate that this is now not regarded as correct, but again I wonder how axies fed on these diets have fared? Just curious.

Does anyone know what axies eat in the wild? Presumably it is quite a varied diet...?

Do wild axies have similar diets to wild tiger salamander larvae?
I am wondering about the same thing. In the wild, they would eat aquatic creatures that happen to wander by like aquatic larvae, perhaps bugs, small fish and wormy like things. I was wondering about feeding them “spikes” (fly larvae) from the bait shop? I have three juveniles that earthworms seem a little big for. I know I can cut them, but when I saw how fat the worms were I asked if they had any smaller wrigglers and they showed me the spikes. It seems like that would be OK because they are soft bodied and just the right size for my Axies. What is the harm in including these?

Reaction score
I have a question... I tried feeding him red worms and he didn't like them... He tries the first and wrestled with it.
Then the second one he wasn't so into eating it, the next day I found that he had vomited one and half of another. One was still alive even after being eaten and then vomited. Those red worms don't die even under water. Anyone had any similar experiences
With res worms?

ABojana

Reaction score
I have a question... I tried feeding him red worms and he didn't like them... He tries the first and wrestled with it.
Then the second one he wasn't so into eating it, the next day I found that he had vomited one and half of another. One was still alive even after being eaten and then vomited. Those red worms don't die even under water. Anyone had any similar experiences
With res worms?
I know this is an old post, but I'll answer regardless. That is precisely what I wanted to ask- what about axolotls spitting red wigglers out? Mine did the same thing and she is eating earthworms just fine. I wonder if red wigglers have some defensive mechanism that prevents them from being eaten.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I'll answer regardless. That is precisely what I wanted to ask- what about axolotls spitting red wigglers out? Mine did the same thing and she is eating earthworms just fine. I wonder if red wigglers have some defensive mechanism that prevents them from being eaten.
I think the same

Judith

Reaction score
This might seem like a daft question, but... why earthworms?

What exactly is it that makes them the best staple diet for axolotls?

I am not disputing that they are the best, but like Alice I'm impossibly curious.

It seems pretty obvious that earthworms aren't the staple diet of wild axolotls in Mexico - sure the odd one might plop in but worms live in the ground, they're not aquatic (and while I'm on that subject does anyone KNOW what they DO eat in the wild).

Whenever someone asks what the best food is we hear all the possibilities (beef heart, shrimp, blood worm, chicken breast, guppies etc etc) but people take on a very strong, almost zealot-like tone about ONLY feeding earthworms and as it seems to be a pretty strong concensus I wondered if somebody could fill me in on the details.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a definitive answer!
My male will earn the worms, but my female absolutely won’t.
So I give her (and him) hart and live feeder fish. With they both seem to prefer. The fish that is

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!