Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My Axolotl is barely eating anything

RobbieDiesel92

Reaction score
So I’ve had this axolotl for a year and we estimate she’s roughly 1.5yrs old. She’s 10in and currently at 114g as she has lost some weight. Water parameters have always been 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, less than 40ppm nitrate at all times. Alkalinity and Hardness are a little bit on the higher end as I live in Nevada and pH is between 7.6 - 8.2 . I do weekly 30 - 50% water changes, treated with Prime. I properly cycled the tank for 2 months before starting and have never had a crash or a spike. The water temp is always 60-65°F and controlled by two fans; one at each end of a 55 gallon aquarium. I feed my axies a steady diet of either earthworms or repashy grub pie. I had purchased a new axie kept him in quarantine for 30 days no worries. Introduce him into the tank with my other axie but keep a divider up so they can get familiar. This lasts for about a month and then I take out the divider. They’re fine for 1 month no issues. Then about 1.5 months ago my original axie starts barely eating, I thought it may be due to them starting show signs of the opposite sex. People were telling me to separate them because she may be producing eggs or he may be nudging her to reproduce which would lead to stress. So for the last 2 weeks they’ve been separated. Four days ago I took her to an exotic vet and she said I don’t feel any eggs or blockages. She isn’t showing any signs of bloat, impaction, or constipation. To be honest if it was any of those things she’d be dead already. She has no skin lesions that I can see and no discoloration or white spots. She hasn’t dropped any gill filaments but recently they started looking a little less red and more brick red/brown. The vet said she thinks it’s bacterial and prescribed a 10 day, 5ml/day dose of Baytril which is a broad spectrum antibiotic. I have to dry dock her for five minutes and spray the fluid on her for her to absorb it. So far she has taken 3 doses and doesn’t show any noticeable signs of improvement. Idk what else it could be!? Any help would be appreciated.

Kitan

Reaction score
Okay, what is barely eating? How often\much?

So my research would actually support your assumptions are correct. With her age, she is likely ovulating, though she may be pretty early in the process and, thus, no eggs can be felt. Alternatively, she may simply have matured enough that she doesnt want to eat as often. Adult axies sometimes only want eat a couple times a week. Apparently this is pretty normal stuff. If she is not showing other signs of stress or illness, I wouldnt worry. Just follow the vet's instruction and I expect she will be just fine :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1