Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Deformed?

Bunny1994

Reaction score
So I've had my axie about 3/4 years now and she's always had this sort of kink in her tail and I've been wondering if it could have been a genetic defect or maybe she'd had to regrow her tail and that's why? Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20180102_181744.jpg
    IMG_20180102_181744.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 664

Bunny1994

Reaction score
Really? I've not seen an axie before with a tail that looks like hers

I've taken another picture because the other one wasn't too clear

Attachments

• IMG_20180111_092458.jpg
    IMG_20180111_092458.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 172

Wooperlotl

Reaction score
Wow, that does look interesting! Have you had her since she was born? I wonder if someone chomped off her tail and it regenerated that way? :confused:

Gorgeous axi by the way!

Bunny1994

Reaction score
Thank you wooperlotl!

That's what I was thinking might have been the case... I got her when she was about 3 or 4 inches (not sure how old that'd be) but when I went to pick her up she was in a 5ft tank with so many axies they were piled on top of each other! Poor little guys.
I've noticed she has always been on the cannibal side taking chunks out of my others if given the chance, I don't know if that would be why?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1